Book on British expats, emigrants since 1970

We get a lot of requests from journos wanting to interview expats so here's the place to do it. Please, everyone, have a look and see if you can help. (This is for Canada-specific requests only - general requests belong on the main BE Forum. Press releases/adverts will be deleted, so please don't waste our time. Thanks.)

Book on British expats, emigrants since 1970

Postby AJHammerton » Fri 29 Dec 2006 02:22

This is a cross-posting from the general BE research forum, directed to the Canada forum expressly on Kay's advice and with her permission due to limited viewing and response there. While my project is more general I am now seeking Canadian respondents more particularly.

I am writiing a book (based at La Trobe University in Melbourne) on the way British emigration and expat experience has changed since about 1970, focusing mainly on the British in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa and returnees back in Britain. I'm relying mainly on written stories and recorded interviews with mobile Britons of all ages, and am traveling to most places to do interviews. I can't afford to pay for your stories but would hope to put you into the book. For my latest co-authored book with A. Thomson on postwar British emigration to Australia see 'Ten Pound Poms: Australia's Invisible Migrants'. The new book will be similar in style. We've had lots of volunteers from Australia but less from Canada and the UK, and from 'serial migrants' who just keep resettling in different countries. You can check my website at La Trobe University in Melbourne. As I said I'm now looking particularly for British-Canadian migrants who might like to have their stories used in the book (interestingly, since the 1960s far more Britons have been emigrating to Australia rather than Canada, but I can't believe that is the reason for the lower response rate from Canada). So if you'd like to participate please contact me at
J.Hammerton@latrobe.edu.au
Thanks
Jim Hammerton :roll:
Dr Jim Hammerton
History, La Trobe University
Victoria, 3086, Australia
AJHammerton
Free member

Postby Graeme » Fri 29 Dec 2006 16:40

I've tried it and it's not too painful a process; so come on guys if you have any time to spare, drop this fellow a note. I realise most of you are hopeful emigrants and are not actually here yet, but those who have made it may find the exercise worthwhile.

:)
Graeme
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Graeme
Site Admin

Postby jessica » Fri 29 Dec 2006 19:44

What particularly do you want to know about?

And does it matter if we've only been here a few years, ie, not since 1970?
"Cheese is nice and jumping is fun" Libby (age 3)
jessica
Supporter

Postby AJHammerton » Sun 31 Dec 2006 04:48

Jessica,
We are collecting stories from people who left Britaiin anytime between 1970 and 2005 to get some clues about how the experience has changed over the last four decades or so. So no, it's certainly not just about those who moved in the 1970s. Once we hear from people we ask them to write a very short summary of their life story, but especially their migration experience, reasons for leaving etc, and when we do an interview it builds on that to place the migration story in the context of life generally, for example family, education, work, attachment to home, attitudes to travel etc. But university ethics guidelines are very strict so we don't pursue anything people prefer to keep private or which might be uncomfortable.

Hope this is helpful for you and others.

Jim
Dr Jim Hammerton
AJHammerton
Free member

Postby jessica » Mon 01 Jan 2007 01:06

Sounds interesting, I'd be happy to do this. I've got your forms and other stuff and will start tomorrow!
jessica
Supporter

Postby jessica » Thu 22 Feb 2007 14:59

Hi Jim, posted off the forms and emailed you some biog. Hope it's the kind of thing you want.
jessica
Supporter

Postby Michael1944 » Thu 22 Feb 2007 21:10

When we came here, a Magazine did a big article on our family, why we left.

I had my own Fan Club for about 6 weeks.
Michael1944
Free member

Postby AJHammerton » Fri 23 Feb 2007 01:16

Michael1944
That sounds fascinating. If it's after 1970 I'd love to follow it up, perhaps see a copy and discuss further. If so could you email me at
J.Hammerton@latrobe.edu.au
?
Jim
Dr Jim Hammerton
AJHammerton
Free member

Postby Michael1944 » Fri 23 Feb 2007 03:31

Nope, it was about 1961.

Women's Wear Daily???
Michael1944