grandparents

This forum is for all the jumbled up info about Canada. We've asked that, on the info forums, you please post on the relevant forums, start new threads for new topics, and please keep on topic. Otherwise the info is too hard too find for those coming after, and the already overworked Mods end up having to repeatedly answer the same questions. (If your posting is locked in here, please feel free to post again in the appropriate place.)

grandparents

Postby TammySean » Sun 17 Sep 2006 11:23

Is there any expat grandparents out there who is 60 or over who have already made the move to canada, who can elay my mum and dads fears of making the move to come and live with us shortly after we have moved. i.e. medical, uk pensions ( private and old age pensions ) myself ,husband and 2 kids hope to come next year, mum and dad would love to come, but with mum getting on a bit she is very warey, my other sister is also coming to canada in about 3 years, so they will only have 1 daughter left in the uk. PLEASE HELP.
P.S. " DO YOU GET CORONATION STREET OVER THERE" love dad.tv programe
TammySean
Free member

Postby carolinedraper » Sun 17 Sep 2006 12:29

Not a grandparent but my canadian friends all watch Corrie, it is about 4 months behind. Go round their houses on Sunday morning and you might as well forget conversation they are all engrossed with the lives of the street.
carolinedraper
Supporter

Postby TammySean » Sun 17 Sep 2006 14:18

Well at least that will please my dad, hay thanks
TammySean
Free member

Postby Purley » Sun 17 Sep 2006 15:42

I can tell you that once you move to Canada, your UK pension, like the national government pension I mean, will never go up. It will stay the same amount per month or week or however you get it, and you will never get an increase. This only applies to people moving to Canada, South Africa, Australia etc. - if you move to the US or Spain or France, you get the increases.

As I understand it, its just the UK government being cheap because more people move to these countries than anywhere else and so it saves them more money.

Mind you, in this day and age I would think more people move to Spain than anywhere else!!
Purley
Supporter

Postby TammySean » Sun 17 Sep 2006 16:35

Yes that sounds like the english goverment, now we no y we all leave this place, thanks for that tammy
TammySean
Free member

Postby Michael44 » Sun 17 Sep 2006 20:14

caroline, the Street is at last christmas, it is at the point where Mike is getting Alzheimers.

My wife is a nut, I call it Sesame Street, where do they get so much money to spend so much time in a Pub if they are lower working class and it really does a lot for the sexual mores of English women(is there anyone Liz hasn't slept with)?

Canadians get CPP(if they worked) plus OAS(whether they worked or not), works out to about $1,300 each per month, each..

Most of us contributed to private plans(RRSP's), many have company pensions, House should be mortgage free, health Care including Drugs is free after 65.

$40,000 with no debt is considered comfortable in retirement.

Many Canadians have a winter home in the US, use that adress, get the indexing.
Michael44
Free member

Postby TammySean » Mon 18 Sep 2006 13:28

Is that $40,000 a year or is that for good , please let us no thanks
TammySean
Free member

Return to Canada - Jumble Sale