recce trip, what can i achieve?

This forum is for all the jumbled up info about Canada. We've asked that, on the info forums, you please post on the relevant forums, start new threads for new topics, and please keep on topic. Otherwise the info is too hard too find for those coming after, and the already overworked Mods end up having to repeatedly answer the same questions. (If your posting is locked in here, please feel free to post again in the appropriate place.)

recce trip, what can i achieve?

Postby JWS » Sun 04 Mar 2007 19:53

Hi all,

so, i am moving to canada in august (yeah!) but am planning a week-long trip in april to sort as much out as i can. i was just wondering if anyone had any advice about what to do during this week visit (considering i won't have my PR card at this point).

am particularly wondering about feasability of getting: bank account, SIN, driver's licence.

thanks for any advice.

james
JWS
Free member

Postby jessica » Sun 04 Mar 2007 21:53

yes you should be able to get all three things. Except you will have to hand over your UK licence. And you will need some kind of Canadian address.
"Cheese is nice and jumping is fun" Libby (age 3)
jessica
Supporter

Postby Max1944 » Sun 04 Mar 2007 22:02

JWS, where are you heading for?
Max1944
Free member

Postby ikennedy » Sun 04 Mar 2007 22:57

You can swap your drivers licence, but you won't be able to get a SIN, without completion of your PR ( success ), which will also have an impact on you opening a bank account with the major banks.
ikennedy
Free member

Postby john5655 » Mon 05 Mar 2007 00:53

James

some mixed opinions above, and I'm going to confuse you further

you can open a bank account no problem, check out threads under finance on this, in fact you can do this whilst still in UK, I did!!!

second, SIN card and PR card will not be processed until you land and activate your PR visa (as far as I know)

third, driving licence exchange depends on your destination when you eventually land as PR, i.e. in ON you can easily exchange licence, but in many other provinces like BC you cannot, a quirk of the Canadian system, and you will have to undertake a driving test, not possible in one week as far as I know, again, check out the driving forum, lots of info in there if you look
applied via Hong Kong Sep 06 (simplified)
AOR Jan 07
to be reviewed in 24 months
john5655
Free member

Postby jessica » Mon 05 Mar 2007 13:39

just to confuse the issue more - you can get a SIN without PR - we have one under our temporary work visa. I know that's splitting hairs because either way it involves Canadian immigration paperwork stuff, but just wanted to clarify in case someone else reads this in the future.
jessica
Supporter

Postby JWS » Mon 05 Mar 2007 19:00

Thanks for the info guys. We are heading for Ontario so the Driving Licence should not be an issue and it looks like the bank account will be okay too. I will probably wait until August before delving into the SIN.

Thanks again

James
JWS
Free member

Postby ikennedy » Mon 05 Mar 2007 20:05

jessica wrote:just to confuse the issue more - you can get a SIN without PR - we have one under our temporary work visa. I know that's splitting hairs because either way it involves Canadian immigration paperwork stuff, but just wanted to clarify in case someone else reads this in the future.

But it's not a full SIN card, as it has the number "9" in front of it, unlike the one most people have. It's called a temp SIN card, it doesn't make you a PR, if your application doesn't go through, it means diddly squat
ikennedy
Free member

Postby jessica » Mon 05 Mar 2007 20:10

yes, I know that.

You still need one for work etc whether you're here as a permanent resident or a temporary resident.
jessica
Supporter

Postby ikennedy » Tue 06 Mar 2007 00:00

No one is saying you don't, but not all SIN cards are equal. Anyway...
ikennedy
Free member

Postby dasha » Tue 06 Mar 2007 16:41

I'd be wary about changing your driving licence before you actually move here. Firstly, we had to show all of our immigration papers and passports as well as give an Ontario address to change our licences, which you won't have until you actually activate your PR.

Also, they will physically take your UK licence away from you, so you would be without a UK licence during the time you're back in the UK before you move in August. This couls impact your car insurance in the UK too. It took us less than an hour to change our licences when we arrived, so I would leave it until you arrive for good.

I believe you also need either your PR or a work permit to get any SIN - they don't just give them out without some sort of paperwork. Again, this takes less than an hour to do, so I personally think you'd be better off waiting. (yes, there is a big difference between a '9' SIN and a permanent one).

Opening a bank account is very easy though. My FIL opened one at TD when he was over last year, which was very easy. We opened an account with HSBC Canada through our local branch in the UK before we moved, but they don't have many branches here so we've switched to TD.

Hope that helps, it's just my experience of how we did things, everyone's different.
dasha
Free member

Postby justajester » Thu 08 Mar 2007 23:13

And you could get an international driver's license before you came...and use it until you have a permanent address.
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
justajester
Supporter

Return to Canada - Jumble Sale