Wanting to move to Canada.

This forum is for all the jumbled up info about Canada. We've asked that, on the info forums, you please post on the relevant forums, start new threads for new topics, and please keep on topic. Otherwise the info is too hard too find for those coming after, and the already overworked Mods end up having to repeatedly answer the same questions. (If your posting is locked in here, please feel free to post again in the appropriate place.)

Wanting to move to Canada.

Postby Scotsgirl » Tue 18 Dec 2007 15:37

Hi everyone, I just wanted some information on what its like to live in Canada.

I know quite alot of people who live there and love it and say the quality of life is double that of living in Scotland.

I have never been to Canada though I can get cheap flights no problem as I work in the aviation industry.

I've heard alot about the Toronto area and people have been telling me that its the best place to be. Though I was wondering which area had a comfortable and not too high cost of living where the wage could not meet the inflation because I dont want to struggle.

Summers are really important to me as I'd love long ones with cold winters, dont bother me. I've heard people say that Vancounver is damp alot which is the same here im trying to get away from that.

Areas i'd like to consider are

Calgary, AB
Toronto, ON
Regina, SK
Kelowna, BC

Im an outdoors person and love to hunt and fish, I dont want to live in a city but near (20 miles at most) I like to be away from hussle and bustle, a small town would be nice or a suburb.

What is the crime level like in these places? I want to be safe too.

Somewhere that the housing isn't mega expensive like here. I've heard people say property in Canada is cheaper than here, thank god.

I guess I could get a job at a major airport, my partner is in the engineering industry and im sure he'd have no problem getting employment. He is a US citizen also.

I really love Canadians, i've heard so many good things about Canada especially Toronto and Calgary.

Thank you all.

:)
Scotsgirl
Free member

Postby peter25 » Tue 18 Dec 2007 21:38

From one scotsgirl to another.... we moved to Ontario almost a year ago to Barrie which is north of Toronto from Ayrshire. Barrie is probably a little more than 20 miles!!! But on saying that, it takes no time at all to commute to Tornoto, especially now that the Go-train is up and running. I love Barrie, although it does sit right on a snow belt and does get a heavy dump of snaw!! There are lots of nice little towns around Toronto so you don't have to be as far north as us, but the thing I love about Ontario is you DO get four seasons, a proper winter, practically no rain, but lots of snow, a lovely spring, a wild hot summer, temps up to 38-40C and loads of sunshine, and my favourite season... autumn. We bought a five bedroom, four bathroom, detached house with double garage for a fantastic price, compared to what you would get back in Ayrshire. My hubby earns a little less than what he got back home, but rate of living can work out cheaper and I work part time. You don't get as many paid holidays as we did in UK which is a bit of a down side, but what I like living this side of the country is it is really convenient to fly back home and we are always having family and friends over.
We have found the Canadians very friendly, and very welcoming and as soon as they hear the accent, they do like to tell you that their great, great granny was Scottish!!! Always seems to be some celtic connection in their family history, be it Irish or Scottish!! Rare!!
Hope you make the right decision for yourselves, if we can be of any further help, just let us know!!
Have a good Chrissy, what part of Scotland are you from?
Gael
peter25
Free member

Postby Scotsgirl » Wed 19 Dec 2007 10:39

Hi Peter, thats amazing!

I am from Linwood, Renfrewshire very close to Ayrshire.

I thought about moving to America too but heard alot of bad things.

Is living in Canada totally different to Scotland? I really hate the way our country is run now with all the crime and taxes thats why my boyfriend and I want a better quality of life, he is American.

Do you know about other provinces of Canada?

I also like

Kelowna, BC
Calgary AB
Halifax area, NS
Regina, SK

Thats brill that you get hot summers, the rain here its depressing me as I cant remember when we had a proper summer.

Do you get gun crime in Canada?

Cheers
Scotsgirl
Free member

Postby mek14 » Thu 20 Dec 2007 12:48

HI Ladies!!!

Its so nice to hear from 2 scottish gals on this forum!

I am from Livingston (in between edinbrugh and glasgow), and i moved here 2 years ago with my husband.

I live in Cambridge, which is a similar size town as Barrie, and also within commuting distance to Toronto. I commute every day. My husband works near Toronto airport which is a 45 minute commute each way.

I love Canada for so many things....but just a warning, if you are "Really" close with your family in Scotland - no matter how good things are here, its heartbraking not having family around.

I totally thought i could handle it, having wanting to move here since i was a little girl, and i was handling it for the first year. But then you start to think about down the line, when you have kids, when your parents back home start getting elderly and need care etc - that you dont have those people around you.

It is tru that flights are much cheaper now than they used to - and you will find that everyone will to visit you all the time - which is great, but also - as Peter25 said - you dont get many holidays here, so if you use all of your holidays for visitors, you dont get much time off for yourself, if anything.

Back home i used to live for my holidays each year.....i used to go away twice a year - but ive been here now for 2 and half years, and i havent had one holiday yet :evil: Ive used all of my holidays for people who visit us (to entertain them!) and for flying back home for weddings and funerals!

If i could talk everyone from home into moving here, my life would be perfect - but that aint going to happen. So its a toss up. Loads of pros and cons.

As Peter25 said - people love Scottish people here, and there is always scottish things going on - so you definately wont find a problem fitting in.

sorry for rambling :? but if yuo have any questions, im sure Peter25 and myself will have no problems answering them

keep us posted!! :wink:
Michala
mek14
Free member

Postby Scotsgirl » Thu 20 Dec 2007 13:40

Awww thats so sad :(

I am VERY close to my parents, im an only child aswell but i dont see myself moving for a few years yet im only 21.

Im not sure what industry i could get myself into, i work at Glasgow airport as check in. Is $30,000 CAD a good wage? My boyfriend would probably earn around $60,000 CAD as he does mechanical engineering.

Can you tell me if summers in the Toronto area are long and hot? i am really sick of the weather here also.

Is the tax the same or is it higher? I know alot of people who live in the US and tell me that its cheaper to live there.

my parents have always wanted to live in Canada, they told me they would eventually sell up here and move but they wouldn't consider America.

I've considered America though, but still not sure what to do.
Scotsgirl
Free member

Postby mek14 » Thu 20 Dec 2007 19:20

very hot, humid and sticky - dont know what id do without air conditioning.

Downside is...winters are hellish - unless of course you like winter sports!

$30,000 i would say is an average salary, and $60,000 is really good.

I would say Canada over the states, as benefits etc are way better here - did you know in the states, women only get 6 weeks off work after having a baby? here it is 1 year!
Michala
mek14
Free member

Postby Scotsgirl » Thu 20 Dec 2007 21:10

Only 6 weeks? Damn thats terrible! :evil:

My partner has lived in many states and said that the quality of life just depends on the area. I dont really know much about the real living in the US or Canada but i've heard Canada is better but more expensive to live in. Is it cheaper than the UK though?

I think personally we get hammered on tax here and it puts me off.

Only downside about North America is the fact that your lucky if you get 2 weeks holidays where as I get 5 weeks :(

So you reckon Toronto has the best summers in Canada? Sounds great I dont mind winters as long as I have summer for at least 5-6 months worth. I'd rather have snow than rain also.

Does Canada get alot of gun crime like the states? I've heard its alot safer there.

Take care.
Scotsgirl
Free member

Postby mek14 » Thu 20 Dec 2007 21:40

Scotsgirl wrote:Only 6 weeks? Damn thats terrible! :evil:

My partner has lived in many states and said that the quality of life just depends on the area. I dont really know much about the real living in the US or Canada but i've heard Canada is better but more expensive to live in. Is it cheaper than the UK though?

I think personally we get hammered on tax here and it puts me off.

Only downside about North America is the fact that your lucky if you get 2 weeks holidays where as I get 5 weeks :(

So you reckon Toronto has the best summers in Canada? Sounds great I dont mind winters as long as I have summer for at least 5-6 months worth. I'd rather have snow than rain also.

Does Canada get alot of gun crime like the states? I've heard its alot safer there.

Take care.

Things seem cheaper here, but i think your net income after paying taxes and all your bills, i think its probably even.

We get taxed more here, but then some things are way cheaper, and other things are more expensive (like car insurance :twisted: ).
You will definately get longer summers here in Ontario, but im sure a lot of the other provinces are similar - i dont really know much about them though, so you should ask someone who knows a bit more about that stuff.
As for the states, i cant really comment either - all i know (have heard) is that the health care in Canada is better than in the states.
I wont lie to you - the holiday think sucks big time here. I too had 5 weeks vacation at home, but here i get 2 :cry: , after 5 years it goes up to 3, and then thats the maximum it will be. Im not saying thats every employer, but i havent met anyone yet who gets more than 3 weeks vacation.
Every now again there are shootings in Toronto, but it can happen anywhere, so its hard to judge.
Michala
mek14
Free member

Postby CanadianMom » Fri 21 Dec 2007 00:09

Hi.
Well most people I know get 2 -10 weeks vacation. The vacation stuff I hear on here is NOT accurate. I know people in very basic jobs getting many weeks after many years of service. Depends on the employer and whether some will negotiate vacation time further. Yes there are jobs that begin and end with 2 weeks vacation. My husband starting with the union(welder) will immediately get 6 weeks vacation to start. Then it builds. I know companies that instead of overtime pay you can bank holiday time if you wish. If you work for a company that adds vacation time with certain length of employment you can accumulate many weeks of vacation. It definitely exists here! Not rarer then hen's teeth!
In most ways Canada is alot cheaper then the UK. We pay higher tax(and too much) then the U.S., but then we believe in providing healthcare and social programs to all-not "fend for yourself" and leave the others behind mentality of the States (broad sweep there I know).
We are more tolerate and tend to like celebrating differences instead of the melting pot theory of the U.S. Our cities have much less crime then the States but TO and Vancouver and others are seeing a rise in violent crime. In some spots it is reminisent of the US albeit, a smaller scale. Citizens aren't carrying around guns here and that helps ALOT. The Texans who visit(or truckers) here are amazed we don't need to carry guns to protect ourselves!!
There is a big difference between the attitudes of bothe countires and it may seem subtle at first to newcomers. The longer you are here the more you "get it". For instance, we get rather tired of the "Ra, ra, ra, we are the best, we are the mightiest" attitude of the us in general. More modest and we believe in peacekeeping more then policing the world(or saber rattling) in the States.
I often think immigrants are enamoured by the US but Canada is overlooked. Here you are encouraged to keep your roots and not assimilate.
CanadianMom
Free member

Postby peter25 » Fri 21 Dec 2007 00:20

Hi ladies,
Have been working alot.... to keep earning my hols, sorry I haven't been on :cry:
Things I was disappointed in once arriving here is the extortionate price of cheese, couldn't believe it!!! Back home at Tescos you could buy Canadian cheese at half the price.... yeh I know work that one out!! I definitely think meat and chicken is better by far, not as pumped up with water as we had back home, better flavour. Now down to the important things that every scot needs to know... alcohol is a little more expensive than home, ie wine, etc,... only kidding, but it is a little dearer!!!
I find the kids around here seem to have a lot more respect for people's property, there doesn't appear to be alot of vandalism or graffitti, well not here in Barrie anyway, I have no doubt that Canada has it's problems too with crime, but I have the "Scotland STV news" emailed to me every day and I can't believe the number of murders or bodies being found happening over there. The one thing I do hear alot more of here is the drug problem. Always seem to be uncovering 'grow houses' of marijuana etc.
Cars are alot cheaper, and housing as I previously said, petrol is also very cheap, but like mek14, I do enjoy some good summer weather and that is free!!
We also considered the States, but they seem to be everyone's enemy, so decided for the tranquil life of Canada!!!
We are now waiting for our PR to come through, any day now....please God!!! It has been a long journey, but I wouldn't go home now not if you paid me, I love it here. Yes I miss my family like crazy, but the world is such a small place now and it takes no time at all to fly back to Glasgow. I used to live in Cornwall in England and it would take me longer to travel back home from there as opposed to here!! :roll:
Have a great Christmas everyone!!!
Gael
peter25
Free member

Postby CanadianMom » Fri 21 Dec 2007 00:55

Yes to the drug problems. Crystal meth houses-big problem especially in rural areas. Its a terrible, terrible drug....*sigh*.
Marijuana use is prevalent here. I mean you don't generally see stoned people, but they are around(all ages). I blame that on the gov't making moves to legalise personal(small) amounts on people in the last 10 years. They were really going strong in that direction, and so many started thinking of it as a lesser drug here. Permissable. I have now seen enough 30 and 40 year old friends become such habitual users they have almost lost their executive jobs, marriages, and homes. When I was a teen(only 36) it was considered relatively harmless. Like at an occassional party. But I have seen what it has done to very accomplished and responsible friends and it is to be avoided! Drug addiction is drug addiction. Prevalent in rural schools too folks. Don't assume rural is safer then urban. They make the stuff in little out of the way places here. Easy and cheap to get I am sure.
But the crystal meth makes the marijuana seem like child's play. Very violent behaviour and very little recovery rate the drug counsellors here report.
The fact is, if kids want to -in high school or God forbid sooner, they will know they can get drugs at school. There's always some guys that sell the stuff. It comes down to how you raised the child, what they are like, what they have going on in their lives, that can make them susepitble to wanting to try drugs. Most of the kids didn't. A bunch experimented. And a small group got into serious trouble.
Kids that have a strong home life, hobbies, tend to be bonded more with their families, and aware of their future goals just leave that whole scene alone. They just shun it. So keep your kids and family involved in wholesome interests.
Drinking is the biggest and most traditional problem. Weekend warriors, parties, and sometimes drinking and driving. The old standby. What they may want to add in the form of a pill, is frightening. :shock:
I don't want you all envisioning stoned, out of control, drunk people are obvious here. They aren't. Although in the larger cities, yes, sometimes. You can happily go about most of your business and only hear of it on the news or maybe someone's relative is having a problem. It does exist though.
CanadianMom
Free member

Postby Scotsgirl » Fri 21 Dec 2007 03:01

Hey all, just want to say "have a merry merry Christmas :D

Im starting work at 4am (work at Glasgow airport)

Is there alot of Airport jobs in Toronto area?

Im not sure how my boyfriend could live in Canada as hes American. (he isn't too bothered about living in the US)
Can he just work there or would he be like me, have to have a skill?

He has a diploma in mechanic and aircraft engineering.

I on the other hand have only college education (highers)

Does anyone also know anything about other places such as

Halifax, NS
Regina, SK
Kelowna, BC

I wonder if its better there or they have longer summers?

Cheers :)
Scotsgirl
Free member

Postby mek14 » Fri 21 Dec 2007 13:06

I honestly couldnt tell you anything about those places - you should start a new thread with that in the subject line - and people may reply!

I totally agree with everything canadianmom and peter25. Anything can happen, anywhere, and everyones views are different.

I would strongly advise that you and your husband try to fit in some time to visit some of these places, and ask lots of questions (on this forum or otherwise) the more you are informed the better. I wish i knew half the stuff that i know know about this country and how things work - it would have been less of a culture shock.

All in all, i do love it here....as long as you think you can cope with being away from your family (if you are close to them that is!) then you will have a great life here.

All the best, and i hope you have a wonderful christmas and happy new year!

If you want to ask any other questions, you can pm me.

:)
Michala
mek14
Free member

Postby CanadianMom » Fri 21 Dec 2007 19:57

Merry Ho Ho from me too everyone! :D
CanadianMom
Free member

Postby Scotsgirl » Sat 22 Dec 2007 10:33

What happened to my post :shock:
Scotsgirl
Free member