General chat - split from thread about childcare

This forum is for all the jumbled up info about Canada. We've asked that, on the info forums, you please post on the relevant forums, start new threads for new topics, and please keep on topic. Otherwise the info is too hard too find for those coming after, and the already overworked Mods end up having to repeatedly answer the same questions. (If your posting is locked in here, please feel free to post again in the appropriate place.)

Postby clem & olaf » Wed 30 Jul 2008 12:28

thanks Lorry!

We can't wait anymore to be there and start our 'new' life.
I guess at the end it's what we will do wait to be there. How old is your daughter?

For the first couple of month we want to rent in dartmouth or halifax. Than when we have a job buy a house. We are still not sure where but it will probably be in the south of halifax, the area where you are or kentville area. I guess it will depend where we find a job. But we want to leave in a smaller community than halifax/dartmouth.

I have another question, in the Netherlands (where we are living aslo I am a frenchie..) we have to go see a doctor/nurse every couple of month until the kids are 4 years, how does it work in Canada? are they follow regularly or only if there have problems. :roll:

thanks for your help :P
1 dutchy + 1 frenchy = 3 future canadians

Nova Scotia here we come!
clem & olaf

Postby Lorry » Fri 01 Aug 2008 21:05

Hi Clem & Olaf,

I'm afraid I can't answer that question about the doctor as we moved here when my youngest was almost 5, she is now nearly 6. Hopefully some one else could help with this?

I don't really know Kentville, but our choices were Sackville, Bedford or Fall River due to them being within 30 minutes of Halifax and Dartmouth.

We stayed in Halifax for the first 5 weeks of our move here whilst house hunting, and we totally loved it. There was lots to do and obviously close to shops and cinemas etc. We probably wouldn't want to live there permanently as we like more rural living.

:D :D :D
Lorry
Free member

Postby carolinedraper » Sat 02 Aug 2008 01:12

Hi (lorry as well)

Children only get seen for routine vaccinations and even that is down to you as parent to phone up and make the appointment - no reminder letters etc.

Unless the child is ill then they are not followed by a doctor (that is if you can get one - there is a shortage in NS). Many people we know have to travel up to 1 hr to see a doctor as there old one retired etc and the rest have huge waiting lists. We saw our doctor when we could and he was local but busy, and so we did like everyone else and took our child to A&E to get seen normally - it was better to wait 4 hrs on the same day then to wait 2 months for the next appointment.
carolinedraper
Supporter

Postby Lorry » Sun 03 Aug 2008 17:50

Hi,

We generally have no proble seeing a doctor where we are, I can normally get in the same day or next and we have a couple of walk-in clinics nearby too.
I guess it depends on where you live.

:D
Lorry
Free member

Postby clem & olaf » Wed 13 Aug 2008 07:57

Hi Lorry,

thanks for the info, we are not going to live in a too much excluded place so I think (or I hope) we should get a doc without too much difficulties.

For the first 5 weeks, did you arrange a renting before you came or did you find it upon your arrival?

in 3 weeks I am stoping working to prepare for the big Day, it is coming now so fast ... :shock:

clem & olaf

Postby Lorry » Wed 13 Aug 2008 11:27

Hi,

We booked into an appartment in Halifax before we arrived as we wanted a 4 week stay with the possibility to extend. There are a few good appartment buildings downtown. We really enjoyed it there as we were right on Spring Garden road with shops and cinema. We were opposite the public gardens which is nice for an evening walk and ice cream. Friends of ours stayed right on the harbour which is lovely but more expensive!

I strongly suggest you start preparing now!
We were running around like headless chickens preparing for our move. With packing, getting rid of alot of stuff, cancelling all our utilities, preparing our rented house, etc....

It was a big relief when we arrived here. But then we started all over again, house hunting, car hunting, job hunting, etc....

Good luck :D
Lorry
Free member

Postby clem & olaf » Fri 15 Aug 2008 14:34

..We are already busy with preparing since months (selling stuff, cancelation etc.) it is actually the real packing that I will start to do when I'm stoping working :o , than again a lot of things will still be done by the movers :D

Which agency did you use to rent your accomodations? I already contacted some but most of them only do 6 months or a year renting.

Nice week end :P

clem & olaf

Postby Lorry » Fri 15 Aug 2008 22:56

Hi,

We didn't use an agency, we just looked them up on the internet. We rented the Paramount appartments for 5 weeks. My friends rented some down at the harbour for a few weeks also.

Take care :D
Lorry
Free member

Return to Canada - Jumble Sale