It is currently Sat 30 May 2020 09:52 GMT
Change font size

Opinions/Politics

Below the belt!

Some people like to talk politics, others don't. I've made a separate forum so you can post if you want or ignore it if you don't. Hope this is an acceptable compromise.

Below the belt!

Postby Dave » Sun 11 Apr 2010 13:17 GMT

Poor old Pope Benedict XVI - I wonder if he's seen Private Eye's latest cover? :lol:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Sun 11 Apr 2010 15:59 GMT

Classic :-)
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Sun 11 Apr 2010 16:02 GMT

Did you see Richard Dawkins is looking to get him arrested when he visits the UK ?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 094310.ece

Dawkins, author of The God Delusion, said: “This is a man whose first instinct when his priests are caught with their pants down is to cover up the scandal and damn the young victims to silence.”

Hitchens, author of God Is Not Great, said: “This man is not above or outside the law. The institutionalised concealment of child rape is a crime under any law and demands not private ceremonies of repentance or church-funded payoffs, but justice and punishment."
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Sun 11 Apr 2010 17:42 GMT

An interesting collection of comments. Wonder how many others were moderated out of existence?

I've often wondered why Dawkins appears to feel even more strongly about the RC church than other religious institutions, though. Something that happened to him in childhood?
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Sun 11 Apr 2010 19:32 GMT

Don't think so, Ruggie. On the basis of The God Delusion, it appears his background was firmly C of E, and thus the usual warm fuzzy mush of a not terribly religious upbringing.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sun 11 Apr 2010 21:30 GMT

Ruggie, that's a strange suggestion to make about Richard Dawkins.

He and Christopher Hitchens are quite right to stand up and attempt to take action against child rape and other abuses. Are you going to suggest that anyone who supports them has had something nasty happen to them in their earlier lives?

You can campaign for, or support, a cause without having been a victim yourself.

I hope Dawkins and Hitchens succeed in their aims.

And, by the way, I wasn't buggered by a priest in my childhood (wrong sex of course - don't they prefer boys?).
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby chris green » Mon 12 Apr 2010 09:04 GMT

Kay,

I do think you might do some research on the assumptions that you make in your last paragraph.

chris.
THE FACTS LAB BOOK of INSECTS by the team McMahon. Available from Amazon.

Soon to be a major HOLLYWOOD movie !!!
Posted by:
chris green
Supporter

Postby Kay » Mon 12 Apr 2010 11:28 GMT

You're quite right, Chris, so thanks for the slap on the wrist. I was going by all the sensational stories in the news, and not on the basis of proper research or evidence.

I really ought to know better than to blurt stuff out like a typical Sun reader. :oops: I'll endeavour to engage brain before mouth the next time. Sorry.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Mon 12 Apr 2010 20:20 GMT

I support their effort. I was just referring to my perception that he hits harder (and often more accurately) at the RC church than at some others - but that may just be because he has come into contact with them more, or from an earlier age.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Mon 12 Apr 2010 20:38 GMT

ruggie wrote:I support their effort. I was just referring to my perception that he hits harder (and often more accurately) at the RC church than at some others - but that may just be because he has come into contact with them more, or from an earlier age.

Thats my understanding from reading his books - he prefers to comment on topics he has experience of, a very reasonable stance.

Boys were/are more prone to abuse than girls by catholic priests, not through any homosexual tendancies, but because boys are more likely to be placed in a vunerable position. Rape and abuse are not about sex, but about power and opportunity.
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Tue 13 Apr 2010 13:13 GMT

Rape and abuse are not about sex, but about power and opportunity.

Depends what you mean by 'about sex'. All male mammals use acts driven by sexual impulses to assert dominance, not all of which are overtly sexual. In the complex cultures that characterise human civilisation, there are various taboos that prohibit the overtly sexual acts with varying degrees of success. These taboos also tend to instill feelings of guilt or disgust in the victim, which is part of the problem.

In western cultures at least, those who 'play with little boys and girls' to various degrees up to and including serious physical sexual assault do so clandestinely. It may give them a feeling of power, but not the opportunity to brag about it or to gain influence in society in general.

The rape of females above the legal age of consent (within or outside marriage or equivalent legal partnerships - I don't support the concept of 'conjugal rights') is definitely an attempt to assert dominance.
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Tue 13 Apr 2010 13:28 GMT

The Pope is visiting Malta this weekend - victims of abuse are demanding a meeting
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Tue 13 Apr 2010 14:26 GMT

Offensive slogan daubed on Pope's birthplace
http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi ... ace-police
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Tue 13 Apr 2010 14:59 GMT

I often find the comments on these articles at least as interesting as the articles themselves.

They give a real feeling for "public opinion". There again, they may only give an overview about the situation from the point of view of people who spend their time commenting on websites and fora. (I'm trying to mind my Ps and Qs ever since I got a telling off from Mr Green.)

It is noticeable, however, that it doesn't take long for the Bible Bashers to come out in force on any Malta Times article. Whether it's about cruelty to animals, or anything else, God's love will solve all the problems and we ought to believe that. As an atheist, I just don't "get" it.

PS: should we move this discussion to the Ops/Pol board?
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Tue 13 Apr 2010 15:18 GMT

It is certainly beginning to look more like an Ops/Pol thread...

I agree that the (sometimes very large) comments sections asspociated with subjects like this are often more interesting than the original article.
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Next

Return to Opinions/Politics