It is currently Tue 18 Jun 2019 01:24 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Benin – Quick Quiz
    Try our Quick Quiz about Benin - known as Dahomey before 1975 and one of the most powerful kingdoms of pre-colonial West Africa.

Housing/Property

Should I use UK based solicitor or Bulgarian?

Old or new? Buy or rent? Dealing with builders, notaries, agents etc? Try here for info. NO ADVERTISING - adverts belong in our classifieds section. Any property ads, self-promotion etc will be deleted.

Should I use UK based solicitor or Bulgarian?

Postby Emancy » Tue 14 Aug 2012 11:13 GMT

Hello all!
My husband and I are buying a house to live in, in Chirpan.
How did you go about with the legal stuff - did you use a Bulgarian solicitor to do the conveyancing and go out yourself to sign documents or did you use a UK based solicitor?
I would be grateful to hear what your opinion is on both options
many thanks Claire
Posted by:
Emancy

Postby Dave » Tue 14 Aug 2012 14:03 GMT

Hi, and welcome. :-)

I've never bought a house in Bulgaria (in fact, I've never been to Bulgaria), so I couldn't comment directly on that experience. But I'd be surprised if there were many (if any) UK-based solicitors with enough expertise in Bulgarian law - and the Bulgarian language - to be able to offer conveyancing services in Bulgaria. It's unusual for lawyers based in one country to practise in another.

NB This is not an invitation for people to prove me wrong with specific examples. As explained in the posting guidelines, we don't allow recommendations of businesses on the public boards. Any mentions of specific solicitors will be removed.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

finding solicitor in bulgaria (Not advertising)

Postby Jax » Sun 4 Aug 2013 15:39 GMT

If a buyer wants a solicitor look at the UK Embassy website in Bulgaria.
It has a list of English speaking solicitors. I should think that the one's on that site are registered.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Jax
Free member

Return to Housing/Property