It is currently Mon 25 May 2020 22:04 GMT
Change font size

Climate and Weather

The Bulgarian Winter! [originally posted by David+Lynz]

Is Bulgaria really that cold in winter? And is that all there is to the weather? Find out the truth here!

The Bulgarian Winter! [originally posted by David+Lynz]

Postby Dave » Fri 19 May 2006 13:12 GMT

Original posting by David+Lynz, Tue 9 May 2006 11:24:

My girlfriend and I are very interested in moving to Bulgaria later this year...[snip] Our only hesitations are the severity of the Bulgarian winter and the lack of English speaking. How severe are the winters on the Black Sea Coast, are they less severe in the South?

sunnyskies replied on Wed 10 May 2006 21:18:

Okay, well the Bulgarian winter IS very severe, this year I would say has been the worst yet....its still not brightened up much! :(

Quest Bulgaria replied on Thu 11 May 2006 13:59:

Bulgarian winter is cold compared to UK. From our personal experience this was a definite shock as we came here from south west France where it never went below zero! However, we have bizarrely found it very refreshing - it kind of feels as if it is killing off the germs and we've adapted very quickly. The worst months are Jan and Feb.
By the way, this year was certainly not the worst and only had a few days of real cold, other than that it was pretty mild.

If you're looking for the least severe winter possible then BG friends and British expats tell us that the best is on the Black Sea Coast as near to the Turkish border as you can (very little snow - just four or five days - plus warmer sea temperatures)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

weather

Postby bvlgary » Tue 19 Jun 2007 16:09 GMT

was there in january for week working on my properties and it was sunny, i was pleasantly surprised. was near the beachthough if that made any difference
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
bvlgary
Free member

Postby indigal » Sat 11 Aug 2007 10:09 GMT

Does it matter where you live in Bulgaria, or is it just plain cold, all over the country?
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
indigal
Free member

Postby jayorey » Sat 11 Aug 2007 16:32 GMT

It is cold in BG where ever you are but down in the southeast it tends to be slightly milder than up in Sofia way and all around that area.winter last year was very mild but they recon its going to be a very cold one this year down to - 26 they say.

Tracy
Posted by:
jayorey
Free member

Postby BeckyD » Sat 10 Nov 2007 22:11 GMT

I've only been over in early winter (November) and the summer. The way I describe the weather to people is its warmer than the UK in the summer, and colder in the winter!

Becky
Posted by:
BeckyD

Postby fido » Wed 21 Nov 2007 11:37 GMT

In the UK we get a few inches of snow and everything grinds to a halt. Is it difficult to travel around Bulgaria in the cold weather?
Posted by:
fido
Free member

Postby zebra » Sat 8 Nov 2014 08:20 GMT

IT IS NOT AT ALL DIFFICULT TO GET AROUND IN BULGARIA. REMEMBER, BULGARIANS ARE USED TO THE SNOW. IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO BUY A HOUSE THOUGH MY ADVICE IS LOOK SOUTH, MORE TOWARD THE GREEK TURKISH BORDER. MY BULGARIAN FRIENDS SAY, DRAW A LINE JUST ABOVE SOFIA RIGHT ACROSS THE COUNTRY AND LOOK SOUTH OF THAT.
Posted by:
zebra
Free member

Return to Climate and Weather