It is currently Fri 27 Nov 2020 08:26 GMT
Change font size

The Netherlands

Getting started

Getting started

Postby pmforster » Wed 25 Aug 2004 20:07 GMT

I only just got here so it is a bit soon for me to be offering advice, but if you think that it will be easy to just hop across to the Netherlands and live or work here, you are in for a surprise. The only difference I have found between the extensive bureaucracy here and in the countries where I lived previously (Fiji and Vanuatu) is that officials in the Netherlands are apologetic about the amount you have to work through and the mistakes they make...

So far, one of the most useful sources of information I have found is the British Embassy web site at http://www.britain.nl/ A particularly useful page can be found by clicking on the 'Shortcuts' box and navigating to the 'British expats' page.

Best wishes

Peter
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
pmforster
Free member

Postby SandDancer » Fri 3 Sep 2004 12:55 GMT

You're VERY lucky to have received apologies from the Dutch - I've been here 4 years and am still waiting to hear an apology - they generally blame the customer!
:x

I admit that I enjoyed the relaxed way of life when I first came over - but now I realise how much customer service actually counts! I can't wait to move to Canada. :lol:

Btw, a good website for info about living in Holland (and proving that I am not alone when I criticise the Dutch way of life and its bureaucracy!) is:

www.expatica.com
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
SandDancer
Free member

Postby pmforster » Tue 7 Sep 2004 20:19 GMT

SandDancer wrote:You're VERY lucky to have received apologies from the Dutch - I've been here 4 years and am still waiting to hear an apology - they generally blame the customer!

[snip]

Maybe it is because I am living in Friesland and was registering in Joure. The people here are generally friendly - they say 'hoi' to strangers and don't sit on the horn when they get stuck behind a tractor or a herd of cows.

Good luck with your move to Canada. I lived in Vancouver for a year and loved it.

Peter
Posted by:
pmforster
Free member

Postby feline » Wed 30 Mar 2005 11:22 GMT

I went to the tax office this morning to get my SOFI number and I was in and out within 13 minutes. I'm sure it takes longer than that to get a NI number in the UK.
Posted by:
feline

Return to The Netherlands