It is currently Fri 27 Nov 2020 09:36 GMT
Change font size

The Netherlands

looking for fellow Englishmen/women

looking for fellow Englishmen/women

Postby theresa » Wed 20 Apr 2005 15:30 GMT

Any English men and/or women out there living in the Netherlands who, like me, are dying for some English conversation?
Look no further, just mail me...... jannekedw@hotmail.com
Hear from ya all soon
Theresa
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
theresa
Free member

Postby pmforster » Wed 20 Apr 2005 22:12 GMT

Hi Theresa

I live in Friesland, in a small village between Joure and Sneek. Not many Brits around here though...

It's one of the reasons why I am about to give up on the Netherlands and return to England.

Good luck with finding Brits. expatica.com <http://www.expatica.com/source/site_content_subchannel.asp?subchannel_id=1&page=Expatica_Netherlands>
put on events for expats most months and lots of Brits turn up. The British Embassy web site (forgot the address) also have links for events in different parts of the country.

Tot ziens!

Peter
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
pmforster
Free member

Postby Tattie » Thu 28 Jul 2005 17:39 GMT

Hi Theresa. Dont just limit yourself to english people - me and my girl are from bonny Scotland!
Posted by:
Tattie
Free member

Postby theresa » Thu 28 Jul 2005 19:20 GMT

So, so sorry Tattie, that was quite thoughtless of me - especially as i have been told that i am half Scot meself!
Where are you and your 'girl' living?
Having fun here in the NL?
anita
Posted by:
theresa
Free member

Postby Tattie » Fri 29 Jul 2005 14:17 GMT

Nae probs. We're in Wageningen, in Gelderland. Its hard work but we're enjoying it. Dont half miss some fish & chips though! How are you finding it?
Posted by:
Tattie
Free member

Postby theresa » Fri 29 Jul 2005 14:40 GMT

Do you know Lochem? That's where I'm living, also in Gelderland. Been here for ages already and will be staying at least till the kids leave home.....
So, what bought you Scotties to the NL?
Posted by:
theresa
Free member

Postby Tattie » Fri 29 Jul 2005 15:06 GMT

Not really aware of Lochem, but then again, my Dutch geography is shocking. Im doing a PhD here, and my girl is a lady of leisure. Well, not for much longer, she starts a job next month. Its the second time ive been here - i did a fellowship a few years back. How about you? How many kiddies you got? What brought you here?
Posted by:
Tattie
Free member

Postby theresa » Sat 30 Jul 2005 07:48 GMT

I assume you are studying at the agricultural university in Wageningen then. You must like it here if it's the second time........ :D
I ended up staying here when i got married, and not left yet. 2 girls by the way, very tall like me.
If you want you can mail me at abenit@planet.nl.
Planning on staying in the NL, or will you be returning to Scotland after the Phd?
Anita
Posted by:
theresa
Free member

Postby Tattie » Sat 30 Jul 2005 13:53 GMT

Yup, you got it - working at the agric uni. Not sure whether i plan to stay on yet or not. A PhD is such a long time I had to tell myself that this was a permanent move. We kind of have a choice of between S.America, NL or back to Scotland afterwards. I do like the country a lot but our social life has not been what it was back home. So, I assume you're here for the long run - your man is Dutch, yes? I also gather you haven't met many other expats. We're pretty thin on the ground eh!
Posted by:
Tattie
Free member

Postby theresa » Tue 9 Aug 2005 18:32 GMT

Just back from a reasonably sunny Norfolk, and it's freezing here in Lochem. Am wearing woolly socks and jumper.....in the middle of august!!
You are right about expats being thin on the ground, here out east anyway, most Brits in the NL live in amsterdam or rottoerdam and work for shell; one of the reasons for me to go look for english speaking persons via the net.
So how long does it take to do a PHD? Do you get back to Scotland often? I expect the lessons at the uni are in English, so no rush to learn Dutch - bloody difficult language.
Posted by:
theresa
Free member

Return to The Netherlands