It is currently Fri 27 Nov 2020 08:28 GMT
Change font size

The Netherlands

Need advice on accomodation and employment in Amsterdam

Need advice on accomodation and employment in Amsterdam

Postby SomT » Tue 17 Jan 2006 18:50 GMT

Hi

Well I'll be surprised if anyone answers this because it's like asking advice on everything. Just arrived in the Netherlands. I've come here because I always liked it. So I quit my job with about 4-5 months money to support me, know no-one in Amsterdam but here I am.

I am currently staying in a rubbish hotel so am looking to move for accomodation asap. Also I'm looking for a job preferably in financial services although I might look for something temporary. I'm doing an intensive dutch course at the moment so I hope that helps. Any advice on these searches and any major differences I should be aware of? It appears a pretty similar process to the UK but there might be some nasty surprises that I don't know about. Is it difficult to get companies to be your sponsor for the residence permit? (don't need a work permit because I'm British). Is there anything I can do to make it easier for a company to hire me? I don't want them to be like oh lets not interview him, we need to give a sponsoring letter so he can get his permit and SOFI number.

Sorry for the essay! If anyone can give me some helpful advice that would be great!
Posted by:
SomT

Postby Cath » Tue 17 Jan 2006 21:32 GMT

Hello SomT. Welcome to Holland. I hope you enjoy yourself here. We've lived here for a while (19 years!) and really like it. As far as I know, you don't need a resident's permit to live here if you're British. I don't have one. Have a look on www.ind.nl they should be able to answer a lot of your questions. If you don't get any joy, there's an organisation based in the Hague, with an office in Amsterdam. They're called Access and they try to help foreigners with the settling in process. Look them up, they're really friendly. Hope this has been some help to you :D
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Cath
Free member

Postby SomT » Wed 18 Jan 2006 15:35 GMT

Dank u wel. Thanks for the info! I hope I can get grounded here soon!
Posted by:
SomT

Postby Rodge » Thu 12 Jul 2012 17:16 GMT

Good luck with your relocation post back on here with how it all goes its interesting because your doing exactly what I want to do but I just haven't got the stones too maybe see how you fare will inspire me to sack up... Good look buddy
Posted by:
Rodge

Postby JJ » Fri 13 Jul 2012 10:28 GMT

Welcome to the forum Rodge. In case you hadn't noticed SomT's post was six years ago and he hasn't posted since but that doesn't mean there's no-one else here from the Netherlands so hang around and let us know how you get on. Sometimes it's easier to get an answer to a specific question and develop it from there, and best to keep different subjects in separate posts so the subject line gives a good idea what it's about. So ask away...
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby Rodge » Fri 13 Jul 2012 12:34 GMT

Oh right didn't spot that sorry I should have really read the guidelines first.. Cheers for the advice
Posted by:
Rodge

Postby JJ » Fri 13 Jul 2012 12:40 GMT

Oh, definitely read the guidelines first (particularly the ones about posting links and advertising) as it helps avoid much unpleasantness, but don't let that stop you asking interesting questions.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Return to The Netherlands