It is currently Tue 11 Dec 2018 00:56 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• British Expat Forum – reduced service
    With regret, we've decided to close down most of the British Expat Forum to new posts. Existing Premium Members and Supporters will keep their privileges for the lifetime of the forum.

Making the most of the Internet

Reading other people's blogs

Here's where to discuss things such as how to deal with Spam, how to protect yourself from net nasties, and other Internet-related issues.

Reading other people's blogs

Postby Kay » Wed 5 Mar 2014 05:51 GMT

Just curious - do you read other people's blogs? Do you have favourites which you visit regularly or do you just find what you're looking for via search?

Do you ever comment on blogs?

Sometimes it seems to me that people are so busy on Facebook, they never do anything else online. I've even seen several businesses who've pretty much abandoned their own websites in favour of posting on their Facebook pages.

How about you? Do you hang out a lot on Facebook? Do you still regularly visit other sites?
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Wed 5 Mar 2014 11:22 GMT

I think Facebook has smothered the blog format for personal wibble, while the blog has become much more a professional tool for marketing and support. The biggest problem with Facebook is that the end-user has little control over what shows in their newsfeed, so you can't guarantee to see every post in a Facebook 'blog'.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby Kay » Wed 5 Mar 2014 12:58 GMT

Another problem with Facebook, especially for businesses, is that you don't have the same control as you would with your own website/blog.

Concentrating on FB has been likened to "sharecropping" - putting your efforts into building up someone else's site. And, of course, FB can change the T&Cs any time they like which could leave you scuppered or seriously out of pocket.

That's why, I usually cringe when I see businesses using FB as a base rather than as an "outpost" and an additional way to extend their reach.

I'm not a fan of FB at all, but I have been using it for BE. I suppose because nearly everyone else is on there. I would rather be on a blog or forum any day.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed 5 Mar 2014 16:20 GMT

JJ wrote:I think Facebook has smothered the blog format for personal wibble

I laughed when I read this. "Personal wibble" - what a great expression. It's funny 'cos it's true.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Making the most of the Internet