It is currently Mon 10 Dec 2018 23:39 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• British Expat Forum – reduced service
    With regret, we've decided to close down most of the British Expat Forum to new posts. Existing Premium Members and Supporters will keep their privileges for the lifetime of the forum.

Making the most of the Internet

Internet connectivity worldwide

Here's where to discuss things such as how to deal with Spam, how to protect yourself from net nasties, and other Internet-related issues.

Internet connectivity worldwide

Postby Kay » Tue 25 Mar 2014 12:35 GMT

Here's an interesting little interactive thingy showing how countries of the world grew their Internet presence. The figures are taken from the World Bank and they go up to 2012 although the article was published this month.

http://mashable.com/2014/03/19/internet-access-world/

It's amazing to see the early adopters although, of course, their small populations increased their percentages of population online.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed 26 Mar 2014 02:41 GMT

I remember the BBC had a similar map a while back, but I can't find it now!

Interesting that Norway and then Iceland should lead the way. I suppose sparse populations in remote areas of the globe have extra incentive to get connected, but I'm sure there must be other factors at play too.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Wed 26 Mar 2014 09:28 GMT

I have to question their definition of "internet access" or "internet user" because for instance the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_Iceland tells us that in 1993 their connectivity to the rest of the world was 56kbps and they didn't get a commercial service until 1994 or ADSL until 2005. The statistics for some countries will be skewed by early state-provided services such as Minitel in France, a Prestel-like system introduced in the 1980s designed to replace directory enquiries and other services.

Overall I'd say an article written more to shock than inform.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Postby Kay » Wed 26 Mar 2014 10:23 GMT

I did have a bit of a feeling of deja vu when I started this thread. I posted in here about the BBC one on 27 Feb this year. Erk. No short term memory.

Well, JJ, why let the facts get in the way of a good story? Shock and sensation always gets more eyeballs (sells more copies) than a nicely written factual article.

If Joe Public wanted facts, most of the tabloids would have gone bust yonks ago. What? They already have? Yeah, but so have the broadsheets. It doesn't matter what shit you tell people as long as it's free.

Caveat emptor. May they enjoy getting what they paid for. :D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Wed 26 Mar 2014 11:15 GMT

True, as long as it's taken in the spirit intended. But sometimes myths grow larger than the facts: "Tim Berners-Lee invented the internet" (he invented the World Wide Web, the internet was spun off from DARPA about 15 years earlier); "Steve Jobs invented the smartphone" (funny, I was using mobile devices with those capabilities in 2001); "Microsoft stole the Windows concept from Apple" (whereas Apple had stolen it along with most of the staff from Xerox Parc project); "television was invented by Logie-Baird" (he developed a completely impractical system but what we have today is descended from the independent work of Vladimir Zworykin).

Sometimes the myth becomes accepted as fact even to a dangerous extent. Just this week someone I was discussing a project with said that he'd come from a meeting with a senior IT person ad a major worldwide pharmaceutical company who'd been pitching the 'big data' angle and quoted the fact that Wal-Mart had pioneered big data when they discovered that men who buy diapers on a Friday would also buy beer. A widely quoted example, okay, hardly dangerous except that it's accepted as fact, in this case by someone on a six-figure salary, yet almost entirely fictional.

So, yes, but it worries me that quoted too often a good story becomes a fact.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Return to Making the most of the Internet