It is currently Tue 11 Dec 2018 00:38 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• British Expat Forum – reduced service
    With regret, we've decided to close down most of the British Expat Forum to new posts. Existing Premium Members and Supporters will keep their privileges for the lifetime of the forum.

Making the most of the Internet

Need help with Hotmail problem

Here's where to discuss things such as how to deal with Spam, how to protect yourself from net nasties, and other Internet-related issues.

Need help with Hotmail problem

Postby Kay » Mon 25 Apr 2016 06:56 GMT

Hotmail seems to think that BE is a spammer because every time I email anyone with a Hotmail address using my BE email account, it's returned as being undeliverable. As you can imagine, this can make life a bit difficult sometimes if the person I need to email is using a Hotmail address. (I can receive their emails fine, I just can't get a reply through.)

I thought that perhaps I could go to Hotmail.com, find their customer services, explain the problem, and ask them to unblock us. However, the only thing I can find to do at the Hotmail site is to register for an account. But I don't want a Hotmail email account.

Any ideas how to get in touch with Hotmail and ask them to unblock us? Does anyone here have a Hotmail account and therefore their customer service address?

The work-around I've been using up until now is sending any messages intended for a Hotmail recipient to Dave's gmail account for him to forward on my behalf. (I don't have a gmail account of my own and don't want one. I had one before and didn't like it.)
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Re: Need help with Hotmail problem

Postby ruggie » Mon 25 Apr 2016 07:35 GMT

Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Mon 25 Apr 2016 08:04 GMT

Thanks, Mike.

That's a big step in the right direction. I added a post to that thread. Unfortunately, the last question on there was more than a year ago and is still unanswered.

Meanwhile, I suppose it might be worth putting a big notice on our contact form and other relevant places asking people not to use Hotmail when contacting us. What a nuisance!
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Mon 25 Apr 2016 14:56 GMT

Thanks for bringing it to my notice. Ropeysoles has been having emails bounced occasionally - only circumvented by sending from a different email account. Now I know the most likely cause...
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Mon 25 Apr 2016 15:13 GMT

Good point. It's worth being aware that if people use Hotmail to contact a business, any reply is likely to be binned by Hotmail.

Whilst it is annoying, I can't resist saying that if a business contacts me by using such an address, it's hard to think other than they only have themselves to blame for not using their business email address. I mean if you have a domain - a .com or a .co.uk or whatever, then to be a credible business person you should use that domain. If you use some shit freebie thing, such as Hotmail (or Gawd help us, AOL) you can't expect to be taken seriously as a business. These things are OK - I suppose - for some people, but they're no use for a serious business.

It still doesn't help us when non-business people contact us using Hotmail. We can't deal with them any more efficiently, but we can't blame them for using such a service. You can't expect them to know any better since they're not running an Internet business.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Mon 25 Jul 2016 12:50 GMT

It's worth checking your domain on MXtoolbox.com which will give pointers to things that the big mail services may take objection to. For instance it warns that britishexpat.com doesn't publish a dmarc record (kind of like SPF) and that the SMTP banner doesn't match the site, which can be indicative of reverse DNS problems which Microsoft is VERY fussy about.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
JJ

Return to Making the most of the Internet