It is currently Tue 19 Jun 2018 18:15 GMT
Change font size

Making the most of the Internet

Yahoo! Answers hits a billion answers

Here's where to discuss things such as how to deal with Spam, how to protect yourself from net nasties, and other Internet-related issues.

Moderator: JJ

Yahoo! Answers hits a billion answers

Postby Kay » Tue 4 May 2010 18:13 GMT

Read the story here

I really despise Yahoo! Answers. It's full of kids and content thieves. I'm sick of having to police their site and then begging them to remove content that's been stolen from us.

I've not been there for a while, but I guess when I next look I'll find that plenty of our content has been stolen again. No doubt it's quite easy to get thousands, millions and even a billion answers when so much of it's stolen from other people.

I know that some of our members have issues with Google. Well I have a problem with Yahoo! publishing our stolen content. :evil:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Thu 6 May 2010 18:31 GMT

A billion answers, of which at least 999,000 aren't worth the virtual paper they're written on.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Thu 6 May 2010 22:45 GMT

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That suggests that 999,001,000 of them are useful :shock:
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby jmthomas » Sun 13 Jun 2010 12:00 GMT

And how many unique questions? It always seems to be pretty much the same questions popping up, nobody (at least few) bothers to search to see if their questions have already been answered.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
jmthomas
Free member

Postby Kay » Sun 13 Jun 2010 14:05 GMT

Hi jmthomas

Welcome to our forum and thanks for your useful answers on our Spain forum.

Re Yahoo! answers, nah, it's the same stuff all the time - what are you having for your dinner? Admittedly I tended to hang out in the food and drink section because the main reason I was there was to try to raise the profile of my Not Delia site.

The kids seem to use it more as a place to chat and I suspect that many of the others really aren't Internet savvy at all and don't realise that it's content theft to cut'n'paste info they've lifted from other sites. Bah!
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sun 13 Jun 2010 14:15 GMT

PS: One Q&A which really bugged me was:

Q - is Buck's Fizz vegetarian?

A - yes, it's just oranges and grapes

Me - not necessarily. The wine making process may include non-vegetarian ingredients, etc, etc.

Guess who got voted as giving the best answer. :roll:

http://www.notdelia.co.uk/wine-and-vegetarianism/
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Sun 13 Jun 2010 14:22 GMT

Did they mean the pop group or the drink ?
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sun 13 Jun 2010 15:55 GMT

I doubt if they'd have been old enough to have heard of the pop group. :lol:
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sun 13 Jun 2010 17:03 GMT

Ooh! Chance for me to earn a Pedant Point!

They must have meant the drink - the group's name was spelt without an apostrophe. :P

Just as well, really - if they'd meant the group, apparently there have been 15 members between 1981 and now, in various permutations, so they'd have needed to specify which version they meant. :P :P
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Wed 7 Jul 2010 21:40 GMT

Going back to my post: :oops: Now I'm even having trouble with numbers. Maybe I should double my intake of ginkgo biloba pills.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Reece » Sat 25 Dec 2010 03:19 GMT

Hi Kay.

I suggest you check this out [links removed] they have a whole load of codes to prevent those little blighter's stealing your stuff.

It should work no matter what type of coding you use, but I can't promise anything as i have never tried it.

There are ways around it but i highly doubt the majority of people on here would know how, me excluded. :P
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Reece
Free member

Postby Dave » Sat 25 Dec 2010 07:12 GMT

Reece, I've visited sites that disable your right-click button before. They're a right royal pain in the backside.

Content thieves are also a nuisance, and I sympathise with site owners who suffer from them. But said site owners tend to lose my sympathy when they decide to take it upon themselves to knacker my browser, especially since I generally do the right thing and quote with attribution (and often a link too).
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Reece » Sat 25 Dec 2010 23:16 GMT

Yeah I understand where your coming from Dave, I just thought it would be useful to stop those thief's!

-Reece
Posted by:
Reece
Free member

Return to Making the most of the Internet