It is currently Wed 12 Dec 2018 16:35 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• British Expat Forum – reduced service
    With regret, we've decided to close down most of the British Expat Forum to new posts. Existing Premium Members and Supporters will keep their privileges for the lifetime of the forum.

Making the most of the Internet

Global spam levels suddenly fall

Here's where to discuss things such as how to deal with Spam, how to protect yourself from net nasties, and other Internet-related issues.

Global spam levels suddenly fall

Postby Kay » Thu 6 Jan 2011 15:27 GMT

What do you make of this story which was published today by the BBC?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12126880

It would be wonderful to think that spam might decrease, but I think that's too much to hope for.

Any opinions?
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Fri 7 Jan 2011 03:23 GMT

I think it is too much to hope for - even if spam as we know it were to go away, I'm sure there'd be something equally annoying to replace it.

I don't understand the comment about Spamit's shutdown:

"This was a significant operation, with assets all over the world. Its decision to stop operating - or at least lay low for a while - has made it more difficult for [other] spammers," he said.

Why or how has it made it more difficult, I wonder?
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Fri 7 Jan 2011 08:20 GMT

One area where spammers definitely haven't let up is in sending spambots to fora. Thanks to Alan's question test, virtually all of them have been excluded from here - but we've had significantly higher numbers trying it on over the last couple of weeks. :roll:
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Trev » Fri 7 Jan 2011 22:07 GMT

So have lots of other forums, some I visit are reporting anything up to 30 spambots registering every day.
Trev & Vania - Varna - Bulgaria

http://www.tcinbg.net
Posted by:
Trev
Supporter

Postby Kay » Fri 7 Jan 2011 23:07 GMT

Yeah, our new foodie forum is getting bombarded with these bar stewards. We have it set up so they can register, trigger an alarm bell, and can't go any further. It's all a bit silly. But presumably it doesn't cost them anything - it's just our and other people's bandwidth they're wasting.

And then, what's next? These scumbags figure out a way to defeat our defences and we have to take time out from doing useful things to putting more defences in place?

Never mind shooting them, I think the bamboo up the @rse torture wouldn't go amiss.

Of course it's not possible but if I ruled the universe I would deny spammers the freedom to ever access the internet again. That would be an apt punishment.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Mon 10 Jan 2011 13:57 GMT

Kay, that would be like taking someone's driving licence away - they'd just do it illegally. Or were you thinking of making it impossible to use a computer, by chopping both their hands off?

[I've just seen what I typed yesterday, and sorted it out. I don't believe it. Perhaps the subject was making me see red]
Last edited by ruggie on Tue 11 Jan 2011 21:50 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Mon 10 Jan 2011 15:10 GMT

Well, OK, then. Maybe torture isn't the best way. How about forcing them to do 'community service' to mod a busy forum and clean up the spam and shut down the *$£% nasties who make life so difficult for decent people.

Shut them in a cage with quotas of spam kills to fulfil every day.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Tue 11 Jan 2011 21:52 GMT

I'll vote for that. 'No coffee until you finsih the job'.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Making the most of the Internet