It is currently Fri 21 Sep 2018 00:58 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• Five questions about Paraguay – Quick Quiz
    Paraguay, named after the river that flows centrally through it, is one of just two landlocked countries in the Americas. What else do you know about it?

Making the most of the Internet

New WordPress blog spam technique

Here's where to discuss things such as how to deal with Spam, how to protect yourself from net nasties, and other Internet-related issues.

Moderator: JJ

New WordPress blog spam technique

Postby Dave » Sat 9 Apr 2011 13:53 GMT

Not Delia has just received seven comments in the space of a few hours.

All of them were completely pointless - variations on a bland "I like what you say" theme. The IPs were all different. And the URLs were all either Bing or Google - presumably the idea is to get permanent approval on the back of a bland comment and then let rip with a different URL thereafter.

So far, so mundane. However, the thing that marked these comments out was that they all started with a six-character random alphanumeric string.

My guess is that this is some kind of ploy to confound Akismet - in that respect it looks very similar to the inclusion of a few random punctuation marks at the end of a comment, which has certainly been quite a common feature of would-be spammers' comments up until recently.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Sat 9 Apr 2011 18:12 GMT

Sounds reasonable. Recently, I've had e-mail notifications of empio comments with a wink emoticon as the IP address - and when I go to the site I find the comment doesn't exist. Some artefact of a discarded comment?
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Making the most of the Internet