It is currently Thu 21 Jun 2018 00:44 GMT
Change font size

Making the most of the Internet

Is this a scam?

Here's where to discuss things such as how to deal with Spam, how to protect yourself from net nasties, and other Internet-related issues.

Moderator: JJ

Is this a scam?

Postby ruggie » Thu 19 Apr 2012 10:44 GMT

I find this worrying. I have just received a call from an Indian woman, telling me that a company called IRS was in business to help people whose MS Windows operating system had sent out messages that the PC was malfunctioning and probably had a virus. She suggested to me that they were contracted by MS to follow up on automatic error reports by Windows, and offer to help.

She said my system had been sending many such messages recently, then asked if it was online so that they could take a look....

I bought the PC from a UK company, so Windows will have been registered initially in the UK - so I suppose it isn't too surprising that an English-speaking person should call a French telephone number, but that would have been a fairly pricey call.

The only computer maintenance company called IRS that I can find is near Gloucester, and lists only its address and phone number - no website or e-mail address.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Thu 19 Apr 2012 10:59 GMT

That's a common scam, Ruggie. More and more people in the UK have been receiving calls like that - including several who don't even run Windows on their computer. :evil:

As for the cost of the phone call, SkypeOut would mean it costs pennies.

Edit: I don't believe MS contract out services like that anyway.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Thu 19 Apr 2012 12:14 GMT

I'm pretty sure MS doesn't contract out that kind of service - in fact, I'd be rather surprised if they became proactive at all in that way.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby gozomark » Tue 24 Apr 2012 09:13 GMT

Dave wrote: More and more people in the UK have been receiving calls like that - including several who don't even run Windows on their computer. :evil:

and others who don't even own a computer
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed 25 Apr 2012 02:58 GMT

I can picture it now:

Call centre worker: "Your Windows is broken."

OAP: "Have those bloody kids been kicking their ball over my fence again?"
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby gozomark » Wed 25 Apr 2012 03:25 GMT

your windows got a virus

will bleach work ?
Posted by:
gozomark
Site Admin

Return to Making the most of the Internet