It is currently Wed 12 Dec 2018 03:31 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• British Expat Forum – reduced service
    With regret, we've decided to close down most of the British Expat Forum to new posts. Existing Premium Members and Supporters will keep their privileges for the lifetime of the forum.

Sports

The price of football

Here's a forum to talk about sports. Enjoy!

The price of football

Postby Dave » Sat 18 Oct 2014 08:28 GMT

The BBC website has an interesting page and calculation tool on how much it costs to follow a team during the current season:

BBC News: Price of Football calculator 2014

While it won't fit every individual's circumstances - above all, it takes no account of away matches - it still gives a good idea of roughly how much in a season you'd be paying to see your team at home.

The data tables below are worth a look too. The two things that struck me most forcibly were:

a) Once you get outside the Premiership, there's not a great deal of variance in the average season ticket price. I was rather shocked to see that it costs more to get the cheapest season ticket to watch Telford United than it does for Birmingham City. (Manchester City deserve honourable mention here for the cheapest season tickets in the Premiership: just £299, cheaper than most Championship teams and less than a third of Arsenal's whopping £1,014. On the other hand their match-day tickets are among the priciest.)

b) It's a LOT cheaper to go to matches on the Continent. Season tickets for perennial Champions' League clubs are less than £200 (with a few exceptions like Paris St-Germain, Juventus, Napoli and Roma; and even you're only talking about £300-odd). Match-day tickets are usually less than £20, often significantly less.

And don't forget, Premiership clubs are getting huge wodges of TV money as well. I don't know how much the typical German or Italian club gets from TV, but I'd be surprised if it was more than English ones do.

The BBC look at the differences between English and German club ownership and financial models here:
BBC News: German football model is a league apart
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Sports