Kids and martial arts

Here's a forum to talk about sports. Enjoy!

too young

Postby wendy » Sat 06 Mar 2004 07:49

Hi there, question for you experts in Karate. I'm thinking of putting my little boy into karate classes, he is 3 and half at moment, don't plan to put him in till he is 4, is this too young? Dad doesn't want him to be picked on, and no how to stand up for himself, but also i don't want him to abuse the karate, feet flying and all!! We will move to canada this summer and they have a karate club, what do you think? :roll:
wendy
Free member

Postby Savannah_Alan » Sat 06 Mar 2004 07:56

Hi Wendy,
personally, I feel that's quite a bit too young, but you'd probably get as many different answers as people you ask.

If you did find a club to take him though, it certainly wouldn't do him any harm.

Alan.
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby nooranismith » Sat 06 Mar 2004 08:18

Traditionally kids are started in the MA at about 5. The suggestion is that bones, etc. are still developing up until that age and the strenuous exercise may affect this. Saying that, remember that 'traditionally' tends to mean eastern, and western kids develop differently, Also the MA in the west have developed differently and probably don't have the same effects on the body. It depends on your son's individuality - take him to a club he's interested in and talk to the instructor - they are usually nice and know what they are doing and as long as you stay out of dives (usually they are okay as well!) no-one is going to turn your son into a raving psychopath. Saying that, kids are kids, and they will fight and there will be moments. But you are heading the problem off if he learns to control his body rather than flailing out. I'm all for it - I'm trying to convince my 5yo daughter, but it has to be free choice.

Now the MA. I'm convinced of the benefits of a more spiritual art such as Tai Chi or Aikido, but many kids will get bored at that. Karate, Tae Kwon Do or Judo are great for active kids as they have heaps of energy to burn off. Watch for them getting cocky and thinking they can punch and kick quicker than anyone else and so are entitled to. A good instructor will know how to deal with this and in reality in is seldom a problem. Again look at the kids in his class and see how they are. Your instincts will tell you. They are all wonderful disciplines, but some suit some and not others - you'll notice most of us have a history of drifting one to another before we find a style and even a class that suits us well enough.

Best of luck!!
nooranismith
Free member

MA clubs

Postby wendy » Sat 06 Mar 2004 11:27

Thanks for advice, will go to the club when we arrive and check out what age range go there. Thanks again! :)
wendy
Free member

Re: too young

Postby justajester » Sun 07 Mar 2004 00:08

wendy wrote:Hi there, question for you experts in Karate. I'm thinking of putting my little boy into karate classes, he is 3 and half at moment, don't plan to put him in till he is 4, is this too young? Dad doesn't want him to be picked on, and no how to stand up for himself, but also i don't want him to abuse the karate, feet flying and all!! We will move to canada this summer and they have a karate club, what do you think? :roll:

Wendy, my niece and her husband have a karate school here in town, and for a while i took my older grandsons there (before they moved to Truro) and i know there are many younger students there. One thing i heard repeatedly from the sensei (sp?) was that there was to be NO practicing at school or home, and NO showing other kids how to do the "moves" , or they would be asked to leave the class. He was adamant against the whole"look what I can do" thing happening. I expect other instructors have similar feelings. BTW, the type of karate is uichi riu ( that is probably not the right spelling). It is certainly impressive watching a class.
justajester
Supporter

karate

Postby wendy » Sun 07 Mar 2004 07:56

Hi JAJ, is that school in the town where you live? is it stewiacke? or halifax? We are going to see what the one in fall river is like, he may be too young, but he has so much energy to burn i think he would enjoy it. Thanks for telling us about that one, the more we no about, the more we can go and see.
wendy
Free member

Return to Sports