Transfer Season

Here's a forum to talk about sports. Enjoy!

Transfer Season

Postby herc2ules » Sat 14 Aug 2004 03:52

As usual it has been a busy season in the transfer market and it reached its climax in the Real Madrid swoop of Micheal Owen. As a Liverpool fan I have to say I am a bit gutted and worry about what is going to happen next at the club. Lots of players leaving but not much coming in (with the exception of Cisse)

Just wondering about other thoughts on some of this summers transfers. I saw today that Kanu from Arsenal went on a free to West Brom - that was quite a surprise......
"He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot"
~Groucho Marx.
herc2ules
Free member

Postby Rich » Sat 14 Aug 2004 16:00

I've been following the window (across Europe) as i always do with complete nerdish fascination.

The kanu one is interesting, but not sure it's what the Baggies need.

As for Owen, he's been on autopilot 2 or 3 seasons now, and either needed a move or a kick up the arse/new style. Think he should have hung around another year, but then of course he'd have gone for free.

The deal has got progressively worse for Liverpool (started out at 12mil plus Morientes or Eto'o) which would have been a very good deal. Then Morientes played in Europe - whilst neitehr he or Camacho ever wanted him to leave, despite Perez's bizarre obsession in trying to force his departure - and the Eto'o went to Barca.

Then went into 12million plus a player, before ending up with 8 million plus Nunez (who wasn't even first choice from Madrid reserves). He will fill a gap in the liverpool squad, is decent little player and highly rated in the Spanish press, but you can't help feeling that a 25year old who has never started a game plus 8million is a small price for Madrid. In addition, with Vieira finaly saying he's not going, Madrid are now in prime position to hijack Liverpool's Xabi Alonso bid.

It's a brave move by Benitez, and the idea is good - just the price low. But he needs reinforcements as the squad is somewhat thin. And adding Garcia, Alonso (both very good players), Josemi and Nunez is just replacing the Frehcn speaking Houillier squad with a Spanish speaking one, especially now both Murphy and Owen (and even Heskey) are gone. And Liverpool need a Scouse or at least British core which doesn't exist anymore.

Btw, don't know if you saw this, but Alou Diarra - the young french midfielder picked up 3 years ago who has yet to make it Anfield (kept being loaned out) has been called into the French national squad!
The light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished due to management cutbacks.

www.britishexpat.com - News, humour and information for Brits worldwide!

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby Aff » Fri 20 Aug 2004 18:28

Great post to read, Rich.

I find it difficult to keep up with things across the continent so I try and keep up with things back home and anything else I pick up is a bonus.

I do think Owen leaving Liverpool was a huge blow for the Reds. He has been on auto-pilot but when your auto-pilot is scoring you 20 a season, you have no real need to worry!

Having read all over the goings on at Liverpool and Newcastle, the Champions League 4th place spot could be wide open this season with clubs like Spurs, Boro and ourselves (Brum) having improved the squad dramatically.
Aff
Free member

Postby Rich » Wed 25 Aug 2004 16:52

Hopefully from a Liverpool point of view this means that they will become less predictable. Yes, Owen still scoring 20+, but they were extremely over reliant on him, and when he was injured/off form, Liverpool had no real alternative plan.

4th spot is more open, but i've a feeling one of the big 3 will actually come 4th, and somebody else will sneak above. Would love it to be Pompey, but think it unlikley...
The light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished due to management cutbacks.

www.britishexpat.com - News, humour and information for Brits worldwide!

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Return to Sports