It is currently Thu 2 Apr 2020 10:26 GMT
Change font size

Photographers and Artists

Any cartoonists here?

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

Any cartoonists here?

Postby Kay » Mon 20 Oct 2014 11:15 GMT

I've recently taken up cartooning as a hobby. It's a lot harder than it looks! But it's great fun. I'm using a Wacom Bamboo Fun drawing tablet and PhotoShop. Maybe I'll be able to post something to show you soon.

Do you have any of your own cartoons you'd like to share with us? Or perhaps it's something you'd like to do but don't know where to start?

Post here if you want to chat about it.

PS: I found a great little book about getting started in cartooning. You can read my review here:
http://www.kaymcmahon.com/3377.how-to-d ... ok-review/
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Tue 21 Oct 2014 09:47 GMT

That really is an excellent little book. I feel like doing a bit more dabbling in cartoon-style illustration, using the bare minimum of equipment. Here's a link to an illustration I did a while ago for an article on seasickness remedies http://dontstoptheworld.com/image_gallery/seasick_manga1_800.jpeg

I drew it, scanned it, and added a bit of colour using The Gimp. I need to practise drawing, paying heed to the lessons in that little book.

Having a goal always helps motivation - I've decided to create a video abstract of one of my Kindle books, with me reading against a backdrop of cartoon characters and a few diagrams.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Tue 21 Oct 2014 11:29 GMT

It's a great start. Well done!

I'm curious to know why you chose to go for the manga style. Is that really 'you'?

I'm floundering around trying to find my own style. I'd like it to evolve into a quite techno look - like my acrylic on canvas paintings. But at this stage where I'm struggling up the steep learning curve - trying to learn the discipline and how to use the software - I'm just glad if I can visually represent something which people understand.

Manga is interesting, though. There are several styles of it, each aimed towards a specific audience. Also, given that it's essentially a Japanese style, the body language and mannerisms are often different from those in the West.

Every style of cartooning has its 'shorthand' and its codes for quickly conveying a message. It seems to me that you've made great progress so far, but I'd question why you've chosen to go down the manga route so soon. It could be the right way for you, but I'm dabbling into everything before choosing any style to follow.

That said, I've watched some manga tutorials on YouTube and found them to be very helpful.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Photographers and Artists