It is currently Wed 19 Feb 2020 03:09 GMT
Change font size

Photographers and Artists

Drawing illustrations for ebooks and paperbacks

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

Drawing illustrations for ebooks and paperbacks

Postby ruggie » Sun 17 Apr 2016 18:29 GMT

Don't make the same mistake as I have just done. If you create digital art (in Photoshop or The Gimp, for instsnce) the default resolution will be intended for computer or tablet viewing, so 72dpi. Drawings submitted for printing on paper (to CreateSpace, for instance) should be at least 200dpi, and preferably 300 dpi.

If there is the slightest chance that you'll want to print your art, create it at 300dpi or higher resolution. Storage space is cheap, and anyway a 300dpi image will scale down to any oddball smaller size better than one that started off somewhere near the resolution of your final image.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Re: Drawing illustrations for ebooks and paperbacks

Postby Kay » Sun 17 Apr 2016 19:15 GMT

Thanks, it's a good point. I learned a while back to do that if there's any chance at all of the work being printed. I had drawn a cartoon and someone wanted to print it out, but my original simply wasn't good enough for printing. Since then, I've done all my cartoons up to print quality.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Photographers and Artists