It is currently Tue 31 Mar 2020 10:25 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Photographers and Artists

Photo of the Week

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

Photo of the Week

Postby Dave » Fri 11 Mar 2005 10:50 GMT

[updated on 2 Sept 05]

As part of the imminent site relaunch, we're introducing a Photo of the Week feature on the homepage - we thought it would be a good way of showcasing some of the talent we've got among our readers, as well as adding a splash of welcome colour to our pages. It would also help to expand our range of ePostcards.

If you'd like to submit a photo, please post a link to it here on the Photographers & Artists board, together with a caption and an explanatory paragraph. (If you feel moved to write an article about the thing you've photographed or the place where you photographed it, of course we'd be delighted.) Our PotW team will select candidates for the PotW board from all the photos posted.

We're looking at images which broadly fit the following criteria:

Format: JPEG or GIF.
Dimensions: No more than 400px by 266px, please, either portrait or landscape. (We want people to be able to appreciate your great art without having to scroll from side to side or up and down to see it. :D )
Filesize: nothing more than about 100KB, please. (Remember, it's only going to appear on people's monitors - no need to post a print-quality image.)

Needless to say, but I'll say it anyway: please submit only your own work! We'd be pretty annoyed if other websites hijacked our copyrighted material, and we don't want to be accused of doing it ourselves. (We'll digitally watermark your photos so that any misuse by others can be identified.)

Even if your photo doesn't get chosen as Photo of the Week for the particular week it's submitted, please don't be upset! We'll hold photos over for subsequent weeks. We also plan to use your photos on the site more generally, for instance as ePostcards or in support of relevant articles. We will, of course, give full credit to the artist, including (where relevant) a link to her/his website.

All clear? Right, get clicking!
Last edited by Dave on Fri 2 Sep 2005 23:53 GMT, edited 4 times in total.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby SSue » Fri 11 Mar 2005 12:41 GMT

That's a great idea IMO. :D

Trouble is I've got the photos, but haven't mastered the art of putting them on BE myself.......any offers of help would be greatly appreciated.

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby Kay » Fri 11 Mar 2005 12:47 GMT

Me neither, Sue. :oops: I get Dave to do it for me.

If anyone can give us a step-by-step tutorial, we can make it a sticky. But haven't we already got one somewhere?

This week's photo of the week is one of my Sanctuary of Truth pictures. Future ones can be about anything as long as it's a good pic and something which might interest our readers.

(I think we're almost ready to go live with the new look site. By "almost" I mean minutes or hours. Woo hoo! :D )
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Mojan » Sat 12 Mar 2005 02:59 GMT

I have had a couple of attempts at getting one of my photos on to the forum.....but sadly I have failed miserably :(

I'm sure it's easy once you know how......oh well back to the drawing board for me!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Mojan
Free member

Postby SSue » Sat 12 Mar 2005 09:21 GMT

Yes me too.....but I can post them to others no problem :?: :twisted: Got to be a missing link :?

SSue 8)
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby Dave » Sat 12 Mar 2005 12:12 GMT

Spainboy's posted an excellent illustrated tutorial on how to post images on this forum - you can see it in this sticky
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sat 12 Mar 2005 12:18 GMT

Thanks, Spainboy. It looks great! I'm sure Lister will be pleased to get even more attention. :twisted:

Seriously, thanks.

Kay :D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby SSue » Sat 12 Mar 2005 13:12 GMT

Just spent an hour in photobucket...... :roll: I'm hoping this works!

Just three of my favourite furry friends, waiting patiently for their dinners. They came twice a day, and usually there were seven of them. They all got a little tickle, as well as some fresh minced beef. Even Kookaburras are fussy, they wouldn't eat lamb mince :!:

SSue 8)
Last edited by SSue on Sat 12 Mar 2005 13:36 GMT, edited 2 times in total.
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Postby SSue » Sat 12 Mar 2005 13:15 GMT

Wow I did it... and it was so easy :D I had more trouble with the scanner!

SSue 8) My head is twice the size now.
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Postby Mojan » Sun 13 Mar 2005 04:55 GMT

Many hours later......... :roll:

I'm hoping my test run photo is about to appear here

Wonderful!!...it has!
Many thanks for your excellent instructions Spainboy.

My photo is a cliff scene taken from Granite Island where I often go walking when I feel the need for a spot of solitude
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Mojan
Free member

Postby Mojan » Sun 13 Mar 2005 05:05 GMT

ssue......your kookaburras are just magical, how on earth did you get them to line up so well!! :lol:
Your photo really gives a taste of Aussie life.
Posted by:
Mojan
Free member

Postby Mojan » Sun 13 Mar 2005 06:34 GMT

There's going to be no stoping me now that I've learnt how to post photos on the forum :wink:

This is a photo of one of very few horse drawn trams left in the world today. This one operates daily throughout the year and is a great tourist attraction here in South Australia where I live.
They have a stable of horses that are well looked after and they pull the tram from the mainland, across the causeway over to the island and after a 15 minute break the tram returns to the mainland. The journey taking about 20 minutes each way.
Posted by:
Mojan
Free member

Postby SSue » Sun 13 Mar 2005 11:09 GMT

How clever are we then Mojan? :D Not only can we post photos, but we both live so close to some breathtaking scenic beauty.

your kookaburras are just magical, how on earth did you get them to line up so well!!

They just did it naturally, and would sit like that until I fed them. Occasionally a little spat would break out between a couple of them, but on the whole they were very patient and trusting. I could cup my hands around each one and always petted them before I fed them by hand, and in turn. Here's a couple more....

SSue 8)
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Postby SSue » Sun 13 Mar 2005 12:22 GMT

These Rainbow Lorikeets are the prettiest birds, but when you get about three dozen of them at a time, they screech and squabble and can be quite agressive. They have a strict pecking order too. They're honey eaters, and you regularly see a native tree full of them.

SSue 8)

Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Postby SSue » Sun 13 Mar 2005 12:29 GMT

A beautiful night sky. A pity it was caused by a raging bushfire, that we found out later was started deliberately.

SSue 8)

[Sorry, SSue. Great picture but I've removed the link. It was too big and distorted the look of the page. :( Maybe you could reduce the size and post it again? Thanks, Kay. :) ]
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Next

Return to Photographers and Artists