It is currently Tue 31 Mar 2020 10:38 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Photographers and Artists

Photo of the Week

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

Postby CustomStrat » Sat 13 Aug 2005 00:45 GMT

I think what is outstanding about Alan's "eye" is that those images aren't photos; they're views.
I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Sat 13 Aug 2005 19:56 GMT

Congrats, Alan. I second Strat's comment - you've raised the bar for the rest of us. It didn't take long to justify the purchase of that camera :)
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Sat 13 Aug 2005 20:08 GMT

It didn't take long to justify the purchase of that camera

I agree - it's a great joy to get the camera you really want. But equally it shouldn't discourage others who don't yet have their dream camera. You can still get great shots with lesser machines. Tom Ang (photographer and author of several books of digital photography) was on the telly recently with a group of people who were taking shots with cameras which they wouldn't normally choose for themselves, eg a mobile phone/camera. They were getting some interesting results. Unfortunately we only caught the very tail end of the programme.

Personally, I was happy with my old Canon AE1 (I think Ruggie is another fan) for over 20 years until I got around to upgrading to my lastest.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Sat 13 Aug 2005 21:31 GMT

I have one of Tom Ang's books, which I found excellent. I believe he lectures at U of Sussex.

I've seen some mobile phone pics in a photographic mag. You have to compensate for the very low resolution by trying to create something artistic - quite challenging. But now there are 2Mpixel mobiles on the market...

Here's my first attempt at rising to Alan's challenge in the way of presentation. I'm still not happy with my landscape photography skills ( but I don't hang around for hours, day after day, at the same site like the real pros do...)

Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Purley » Sat 13 Aug 2005 22:18 GMT

I have a Nikon Coolpix 4100. Its a really tiny camera that I can put in my pocket but it still takes fairly decent photos.

I have no idea why the photo is so big. In Photobucket, where the link is - its 35k. I guess if it stays big someone will fix it.

I can't remember how you post a thumbnail that you click to get a bigger picture!
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby Kay » Sat 13 Aug 2005 23:18 GMT

Love the landscape, Ruggie. And yes, I liked Alan's professional presentation, but is a black frame appropriate for everything? I'm not sure in this case. I wish I could think of a better suggestion - maybe Alan will!

The more we discuss things like this, the more I think we should have different threads for each week. We go off at too many tangents to continue with the one POTW thread. Just my view... 8)

The black frame is excellent for postcards but if I was going to put the view on my wall I'd probably choose something a lot lighter, birch wood maybe?
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sat 13 Aug 2005 23:23 GMT

Liz, that's a pretty good shot. For my taste, I'd crop it quite a lot. There's a lot that's great about it but it doesn't seem to have focal point - you know, like walking into a room and there's one thing which immediately attracts your eye.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Sun 14 Aug 2005 05:09 GMT

Thanks everyone for your kind comments on my photos. I'll tell my wife about the justifying the new camera bit :D .

I agree that the most important part of the camera is the person pointing it. In some ways, I see a parallel with the music business, and I think Mike (Custom Strat) would agree here: If I see a guy walk in with a battered and dented ancient instrument, I immediately think: "OK, this guy could be good". The ones with shiny new expensive gear need to be eyed with suspicion.

There's a lot to be said for squeezing the most you can from equipment before upgrading. At the very least, it sure feels sweeter when you finally do anyway :D .

I like your landscape Ruggie. It must have been great to have such scenery to work with.
Liz, I agree with Kay about your photo. The water droplets are the really attractive part of that shot and I'd do some cropping to emphasise it and remove the distraction of the fence at the top of the picture. Nice picture though. I can almost smell the flowers.

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby ruggie » Sun 14 Aug 2005 06:48 GMT

Liz's flowers and dew-covered leaves are super, but the background is more of a problem than I first thought. I've just noticed Darth Vader hiding behind the flowers. What on earth is that? Too small for a real person, so is it a garden/pond ornament? and what is the strange headgear?

The solution may be to take the pic again, from slightly above - but you'll have to feature Darth Vader or move to the side to exclude him. Interesting challenge - and the camera is good.
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Sun 14 Aug 2005 07:01 GMT

I agree with you, Kay, about the POTW thread. The problem is that we automaticelly post any resaonably interesting pic on the POTW thread. Perhaps we should approach it from the other direction. e.g. in the House of Fun, we suggest BOHOF promotion for the best jokes.

I also agree about the use of dark frames in many cases ( mine is not actually black). I used a dark background to add a feeling of depth, and the postcard style was the quickest to imlpement . For my wall, I'd have used a dark mount in a lighter frame. That takes much longer to create in Photoshop - you can do a reasonable job with a simple bevel lit from top left, but you need to add graded highlighting to differentiate the frame from the mount if you want it to look real.
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Sun 14 Aug 2005 07:18 GMT

The ones with shiny new expensive gear need to be eyed with suspicion.

That's the approach customs officers take, too. I always travel with cheap, battered cases. They're lighter than a lot of the fancy stuff, and if/when they get damaged I can throw them away instead of fighting the airline for compensation.
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Sun 14 Aug 2005 07:31 GMT

It must have been great to have such scenery to work with.

That's why we hire a pickup and take dirt roads some of the time (although van Rhyn's Pass is actually on one of the three tarred main roads going vaguely north/south - the road sign I posted earlier is a few hundred yards below the place where I took the big vista pic). S Africa has some superb wilderness that matches US parks - without the crowds. I feel guilty about not taking more pics, but it was a holiday, not a professional location shoot.

One of the problems with things like the viewing area at the top of the pass is that it is difficult to get away from the rusty chicken wire erectd to discourage tourists from taking a space walk. The choice of viewpoint is very limited.

Next year, we hope to spend a couple of days around Blyde River Canyon -
http://www.game-reserve.com/south-africa_blyde_river.html

If I can't take one or two decent pics of that, there's no hope for me.
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby JayneR » Sun 14 Aug 2005 09:36 GMT

I've just noticed Darth Vader hiding behind the flowers.

That's just given me a fit of the giggles, Ruggie. That was really funny.

See ya! :D
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
JayneR
Free member

Postby Kay » Sun 14 Aug 2005 11:20 GMT

I agree with you, Kay, about the POTW thread. The problem is that we automatically post any resaonably interesting pic on the POTW thread. Perhaps we should approach it from the other direction. e.g. in the House of Fun, we suggest BOHOF promotion for the best jokes.

Great idea! In the HOF we have several nominees who are allowed to nominate jokes and move them to the BOHOF. Others can't post in there. Should we have the same sort of group for the best photos?

BTW, on a slightly different subject, quite a few of my photos have been POTW without coming via the forum. I'm not cheating! :lol: The reason for this is that some weeks we might not have had anything else suitable so we've stuck in an old one of mine as a space filler. Also, I like to use mine from time to time to give the BE postcards or other sections of the website a bit of a plug.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Sun 14 Aug 2005 17:14 GMT

I'm not cheating!

You can't cheat, by definition. The purpose of the POTW thread is to solicit material for the BE site, whose content you & Dave design and control. I don't think you ever said the POTW thread would be the sole source.
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Photographers and Artists