It is currently Mon 25 May 2020 22:07 GMT
Change font size

Photographers and Artists

Welcome

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

Welcome

Postby Kay » Mon 21 Jul 2003 19:32 GMT

Welcome to this new board for photographers. Please join in and share your advice or experiences.

Having used a Canon AE1 for more years than I care to remember, I recently bought a Canon D60. I used to do all my own B&W darkroom stuff, but now I'm struggling to learn how to do it all in a virtual environment. I use Dreamweaver for my website stuff so I thought that Fireworks would be the ideal software for me. I've got as far as buying the Fireworks manual...

Looking forward to hearing what others have to say...

Kay
Last edited by Kay on Sun 31 Aug 2003 16:34 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby chabrenas » Mon 21 Jul 2003 20:25 GMT

I've still got my (secondhand 20years ago) AE-1. Mirror is losing some of its silver, and I had to put maksing tape over the hinge because the light was getting past the non-existent black foam stuff. There are times when I'd like an autofocus camera, and I did borrow an EOS300 to do a charity dinner the other day.

I was lucky enough to be able to take a clsoe look at a friend's Fuji2Pro digital. This is built round a Nikon F80 body, I think. I know Terry was having to re-learn the AF limitations of the previous generation to her current professional Nikon. But the big message is that the film camera's buy-in price only 6 months after purchase from Jessops ia well under half whatthey paid for it. The digital revolution is infull swing.

At the top end, there are still things a film camera does better, but not many. And you can take more pics per shoot with a digital. At a recent motocross rally, Terry's husband shot nearly 400 frames of film, and Terry shot over 600, but won't have to process films to see them - or pay for film. But she's using a set of batteries in about aday and a half. The huge saving is in the time she spends scanning 35mm slides and negs.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby Victor » Tue 22 Jul 2003 09:49 GMT

I have several cameras, I seam to collect them, ranging from the rather C@ppy pen cams via a Vectis SLR APS, a Canon EOS30 and a Casio 4M pixel digital.

Of these my Casio digital is my everyday carry with me toy and the EOS 30 is what I use on holidays and when I want to take "better" pictures.

Having said that, most of my good pictures have been flukes rather than planned :oops: I am definatly an enthusiastic amatur and my pictures would most likly never sell :(

Here are some of my pics

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=1281955
http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=1384895
http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=1307608
http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=1255718
http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=1307717
http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=892982
Last edited by Victor on Tue 22 Jul 2003 13:27 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Victor
Free member

Postby Kay » Tue 22 Jul 2003 10:03 GMT

These look great, Victor. Thanks for showing us. And thanks also for posting links rather than the pictures themselves. If we get too many photos in here we'll probably go bankrupt paying for the bandwidth. :wink:

I'm struggling with too many projects at the moment but one thing I have plans for is to set up a new send an e-card section on this site (we had a not very good one - I'm not even sure if it's still there). Anyway, I'll be looking for photos for that - no pay, but the photographer would get a link to their other work. It might be worth a try.

Kay
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby justajester » Tue 22 Jul 2003 12:43 GMT

Just thought i'd throw in a comment or two to rile up the purists :wink: :wink: ...i have lost so many cameras in my life (let it go, squiffy) that all i use now are those tacky disposable ones that i buy at the grocery store. I use them for the grandchildren's birthday parties and days at the beach, etc...the pictures aren't great, but i can usually tell who everyone is, that is if i get all the heads in the shot.

I can hear you all crying now :lol:
Amor animi arbitrio sumitur, non punitor
Posted by:
justajester
Supporter

Postby Mike » Tue 22 Jul 2003 14:27 GMT

Let's not knock the disposables, nora. If you spill your drink on it, or the dog chews it, at least you don't have to sell your granny to replace it.

Mine's a 20+ yo Minolta Dynax 7000i - state of the art in it's day, and cost an arm and a leg. I like it still, 'cos it's so easy to use one-handed, with a mono-pod :wink:

Really, most of the pics I take are to illustrate mag articles, and 35mm trannies are still generally preferred, despite the digi revolution. For how much longer, though, I don't know.

But as technology stands at the moment, I would have to pay the price of a small car for a digi camera which will give a reproduction of the publishible quality of a 35mm slide.

I have a double page photo in a mag this month - first time ever I've had anything bigger than A4, so I'll stick with the trusty SLR for a bit longer yet.

Mike
Glaikit. Bit nae sae glaikit as a gollach wi a blin ee.
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby chabrenas » Tue 22 Jul 2003 19:04 GMT

But as technology stands at the moment, I would have to pay the price of a small car for a digi camera which will give a reproduction of the publishible quality of a 35mm slide.

That's the point, isn't it, Mike? The Fuji2Pro BODY I mentioned above was reckoned to be superb value at nearly 1500 quid from Jessops, and it produces digital images that contain about 15% less pixels than a 35mm neg scanned at 4000 dpi. But a scanner that will give you 4000 dpi off a slide or a 35mm neg costs about 1400 quid... Many print photo processing shops can produce 2400dpi scans quite cheaply, because there are now automatic machines from Fuji, etc., to do them on. but if you want 4000 dpi, with the digital image cleaned up so that it is fit for submission to a photo library or a publisher, that will cost you 10 quid PER IMAGE.

I'll be sticking with my AE-1 for a while yet. And I agree that the Pentax K1000 is great. I think it's still one of the commonest cameras for photography students when they start out.

If you decide that you want to make a living out of photography, you either have high running costs or a pretty massive capital outlay - and then you have to allow a few months before you have halfway learned to drive the kit you just bought.

At the other end of the scale, the throwaways are amazingly good, partly because the plastic lenses are the result of some pretty fancy computer-aided design although they're dirt cheap to maufacture. I usually by the panoramic ones - so many holiday/travel shots really profit from the format.
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby Mike » Tue 22 Jul 2003 19:21 GMT

Mike, I'm following the Digi vs. conventional argument . . . on second thoughts, this is a "Welcome" thread.

I'll start a new one.
Mike
Glaikit. Bit nae sae glaikit as a gollach wi a blin ee.
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Return to Photographers and Artists