It is currently Fri 3 Apr 2020 12:02 GMT
Change font size

Photographers and Artists

Hola!

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

Hola!

Postby DigiTrog » Mon 30 May 2005 08:41 GMT

Hi,

Just found this site via the Living and Working in Spain book. I'm a photographer and artist who recently moved to Spain permanently (residencia applied for) with the aim of restoring an old cave in Northern Andalucia from it's 'raw' beginnings.

I've ended up in a farmhouse but, still intend to move into a cave sometime. Problems with internet access/landline in the caves I have my eyes on.

Like all newbies abroad I'm full of questions. Most importantly I need info about satellite phones and web access. Cost, bandwidth, upload limitations, service providers etc etc etc. Anyone here know of any services available in Andalucia/Southern Spain?

I'm probably in the wrong forum! My own site features some of my photography but, it's a bit empty at present due to my lack of internet access. There are also boards relevant to living in Southern Spain and restoring cave houses but, they're also a bit empty :cry:

Note to moderator; please move to appropriate forum if I've got it wrong. Remove my link if you feel I'm just promoting my own photography holidays venture. I'm not. More interested in getting people to use my boards (relevant only to Southern Spain).
Posted by:
DigiTrog

Postby spainboy » Mon 30 May 2005 10:52 GMT

Hola and welcome.
Sounds like an interesting time ahead for you and knowing spanish red tape maybe a long one. I dont know if i could live in a cave ,the idea sounds nice , but the feeling of all that weight above would give me a stoop.

You wiil get better answers if you post in the Spanish forum, link "in- country experts " above.or here

You'r asking about you web site link , instead of plonking it in the post which could be taken as spam why don't you put it your signature , :)
Last edited by spainboy on Mon 30 May 2005 11:10 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
spainboy
Free member

Postby JayneR » Mon 30 May 2005 10:59 GMT

Hi DigiTrog,

When you say "caves" do you mean literally a cave as in a hole in the side of a mountain or a wine cellar type cave? I think you probably mean the first in which case that's really interesting. Is there a cave community or are you a loner? I can't imagine the problems you'll have getting your lines and everything else installed, water, electricity, etc. Brave person!

It'll make a change from moving into a "finca" (great word!) which I believe is very fashionable at the moment down there. I'd be interested to hear more. Keep us posted.

I'm not a moderator or anything so will keep out of that side of things but you might get a reply telling you you are in the wrong place. There's lots of nice people around here to answer all your questions though. I live in northern Portugal so won't be of any use.

Edit - I've just had a look at your site which answered all my questions. Should have done that first. Dah! Very nice. It all looks familiar. I drove down from north of Porto to Manilva in February to stay with some friends who live there just for a long weekend. The new road from Cadiz to Algeciras makes a big difference. But without looking at my map, I think you're a bit further north.

See ya! :D
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
JayneR
Free member

Postby Savannah_Alan » Mon 30 May 2005 15:01 GMT

Hi DigiTrog and welcome,
I did remove your link on your post. Not necessarily because I thought it was there to just promote your site, but that it goes against our posting guidelines. I hope you don't mind. As SpainBoy said, why not put it in your signature. This topic probably would be better in the In-Country forum as well.

Anyway, welcome. Sounds like an idyllic life to me. Being a photographer/artist and living in a cave in Spain. Ah, who wants to be "run of the mill" eh? :)

Please don't be put off by our "rules", ask your questions on the spain forum (not possible to move it from here unfortunately) but don't be a stranger here either :D .

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby DigiTrog » Mon 30 May 2005 15:41 GMT

Certain I'll be a regular visitor here once I have online facilities in my cave.

May sound like an idyllic life but, I fully expect a few cold nights and frustrating months. We'll see what happens!
Posted by:
DigiTrog

Postby Kay » Sat 25 Jun 2005 15:16 GMT

Hi DigiTrog

Welcome. We usually have a photo of the week on the BE homepage. We haven't updated it for a few weeks as, like you, we could only get on to the Internet occasionally while we've been moving around (currently in the UK for a while). Feel free to submit some photos if you want. In return you get credit for your work and a link to your site.

Have you considered a satellite link to the Internet? Dave and I usually live in a hut in Thailand and we have a satellite uplink there as it's the easiest way to get a decent connection. Might work in a cave too.

Cheers

Kay
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Photographers and Artists