It is currently Mon 25 May 2020 21:35 GMT
Change font size

Photographers and Artists

What to buy?

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

Postby Rich » Mon 21 Jul 2003 20:18 GMT

OK, I'll be the first non - techy person to go on the new board:

Help please:

I enjoy photography and do quite a bit, although i'm in no way technical and have never used a "real" camera. I've got a fairly decent olympus zoom i've had maybe 6 years which i got (i think) as an 18th birthday present. It's now on the scrap heapå after water damage (don't ask), and i need a replacement.

I don't want to spend too much money, and i'm looking for recomendations. I don't mind a simple-ish SLR camera, another zoom, or (prefered at the moment) a digital camera. I'm going to be needing something reliable in potentially harsh conditions, and doesn't need much looking after. Don't mind second hand

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby CustomStrat » Tue 22 Jul 2003 04:16 GMT

Rich, a good workhorse camera that I would never hesitate to recommend is the Pentax K1000. It's a very streightforward 35mm SLR with thru-the-lens metering and that's the only thing about it that can be considered "automatic" because the camera is manual and the TTL is only a guide. I've had one for nearly 30 years and it's been solid and dependable in all conditions. They appear on eBay all the time and can be had for chump change. Right now, for instance, there's one with it's original 50mm lens plus a 75-200mm zoom, flash and leather case sitting at $90US with two hours to go...
I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Postby chabrenas » Thu 24 Jul 2003 20:35 GMT

I've just seen some truly amazing pictures take with what a friend calls his Spy Pen camera. They're only about 200x300 pixels, but that's fine if you just want to e-mail them to people. The device is about the size of one of those flat-bodied highlighter pens, and clips in you pocket just like a pen.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby Tim » Sat 16 Aug 2003 21:20 GMT

Pentax K1000 Wow! that was the very first camera I ever had, bought in 1979, and is the one I took the Pathan shot mentioned on another thread on this board.

But to be honest, I would go for digital now, Rich, unless you have a particular reason not to. The reason I say this is because you can take 'risky' shots that you wouldn't take if you had to pay for film to be developed. Fr'instance, I often take shots out of a moving car, even sometimes when the window's up. As long as I'm not shaving, drinking coffee, talking on the phone and changing gear at the same time, they often come out well enough to give an impression of the place I'm passing through. Especially if I use the video feature. Definitely if you're gonna buy a digi, get one that will take short vids too, because they really do give a great sense of the scene (they have sound too).

I have a Canon Digital Ixus 300 and I think it's great. It has been with me for about 3 years and must have survived assignments in about 15 countries, around 4,000 photos taken and no problems so far. I did buy an additional battery pack, because I found the most annoying thing is for the power to run out in the middle of nowhere, and I bought a 256mb flashcard in Bangkok because it was really cheap. But I probably don't use more than 100mb before getting back to a laptop I can download to.

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions about it if you get back to me.

Tim
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Tim
Supporter

Postby chabrenas » Sun 17 Aug 2003 20:06 GMT

Yep. Digital is now definitely the choice - even for most pro work. My friend who bought a Fuji2Pro SLR a month or two ago is producing superb pics, and her costs and processing time are trivial compared with film. AND a digital has amazing latitude - takes good pics under conditions that would require considerable skill and use of fill flash, etc., for film.

However, one result of digital crossing the threshold is that really good secondhand SLR film camera bodies are cheap now. I'm seriously considering buying a s/h Nikon system to get a set of AF lenses and learn to use them, in the hope that one day I'll find the money to buy a digital body that can use tehm. Meanwhile, my Canon AE-1 with spotty mirror and masking tape keepng the light out of the hinge will have to do.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby Mike » Mon 18 Aug 2003 23:31 GMT

chabrenas wrote:Yep. Digital is now definitely the choice - even for most pro work.

Can't quite agree with you there, Mike - but if you have inside knowledge, please share.

The mid- and lower-circulation mags and publishers I contribute to all, yes, all - I have not yet found an exception - require trannies, and will not accept digital subs other than for hot-off-the-press news items.

And thank God, too. I can't afford a digital SLR. Unless and until Minolta do one, so I can use all the lenses I perhaps unwisely bought a couple of decades ago.

Mike
Glaikit. Bit nae sae glaikit as a gollach wi a blin ee.
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby Victor » Thu 21 Aug 2003 19:48 GMT

Canon has a new digital EOS out from the end of this month. The EOS 300D. 6.3Mpixels. In effect a poor mans EOS 10D. Source http://www.eos-magazine.com/News_40_EOS300D.html

Victor
Posted by:
Victor
Free member

Postby CustomStrat » Fri 22 Aug 2003 03:13 GMT

Still, it's a thousand quid and I'd rather spend that kind of dosh on a second hand Linhof...
I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Postby Victor » Sun 24 Aug 2003 01:45 GMT

CustomStrat wrote:Still, it's a thousand quid and I'd rather spend that kind of dosh on a second hand Linhof...

True, but then the EOS 10D is almost 2000! Fraid I havent a clue on what a Linhof is... :oops:
Posted by:
Victor
Free member

Postby chabrenas » Sun 24 Aug 2003 06:24 GMT

Fraid I havent a clue on what a Linhof is...

Wrong generation, Victor. A collector's piece that still does what it was designed to do very well.

I take Mike's point about most magazines still wanting trannies - and most digital SLRs still produce noticeably 'flat' pictures which are immediately obvious if printed side-by-side with ones derived from trannies. However, what the publishers actually use are good quality high resolution digital images. Starting with either a good tranny (i.e. sharp and properly exposed as well as being aesthetically good) or a top-of-the range digital image, and using a much more powerful computer than the one I own, I am beginning to be competent enough with Photoshop to produce a digital image which magazines should be happy to accept - but it can take anything from ten minute to 4 hours.

My biggest problem with shooting trannies is that only my already overloaded friend with the Fuji2Pro (and a couple of Nikons) can develop them without scratching them. I don't have easy access to photolabs, and I don't have my own film processing system.

By the way, if anyone has high-res digital images (5,300 x 3,500 TIFF files - what you get by scanning 35mm at 4,000 dpi) of unusual subjects, I'd be interested in putting them in our stock library.
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby Victor » Sat 30 Aug 2003 12:48 GMT

Well here is a picture I took the other day with a new camera I just bought. Take a look at it and tell me if its film or digital.

There are digital artifacts in the reduced size, so you will need to look at the original by following the link before you can give me a reply. When you answer, I will tell you which camera I used.

Full size 4MB at
http://www.catawba.de/images/WheelsAndFlowers.JPG
Last edited by Victor on Sat 30 Aug 2003 15:38 GMT, edited 2 times in total.
Posted by:
Victor
Free member

Postby Victor » Sat 30 Aug 2003 13:03 GMT

chabrenas wrote:
By the way, if anyone has high-res digital images (5,300 x 3,500 TIFF files - what you get by scanning 35mm at 4,000 dpi) of unusual subjects, I'd be interested in putting them in our stock library.

What subject and which stock library?
Posted by:
Victor
Free member

Postby chabrenas » Sat 30 Aug 2003 16:26 GMT

What subject and which stock library?

Any subject (with the usual stock library caveats - no logos, and model releases for recognisable people). Your wagon wheel would do if the resolution is adequate (current digital SLRs produce files about 2/3 the size of a 4000 dpi 35mm scan, but they are acceptable for the majority of sales). If you give me a postal address, I'll mail you a copy of the previous CD release to give you an idea - I don't think the latest will be ready befroe I leave.

The website should be ready soon, but at the moment it only has one of my pics on a holding page. http://www.seba-botswana.com.

I'll take a look at your site (but sorry, I can't download the 4Mbyte file on my flaky 19.2Kbit/sec link :( ) and see if I can suggest which images would be interesting.
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby chabrenas » Sat 30 Aug 2003 16:53 GMT

Victor, I like the Salzburg pics, especially the castle - in spite of the flat, cloudy light you had to contend with. Was that an APS camera? (judging from the long rectangular format).

Question: why Catawba? That's an American tree with enormous leaves.
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby Rich » Sat 30 Aug 2003 19:10 GMT

Sorry - missed that before. I've got stacks of strange things and also normal/popular photo subjects from strange perspectives (so you would'nt really know what your looking at). It's a sort of bizare hobby of mine. Also bound to get hundreds of strange pics from my travels.
Will try and hook out my archives (don't actually know which country they are currently in so may take time), and make up a couple of CDs for you if that's any use, although can't guarentee quality will always be quite so high.

Rich
The light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished due to management cutbacks.

www.britishexpat.com - News, humour and information for Brits worldwide!

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Next

Return to Photographers and Artists