It is currently Mon 25 May 2020 21:37 GMT
Change font size

Photographers and Artists

What to buy?

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

Postby Victor » Sat 30 Aug 2003 20:03 GMT

chabrenas wrote:Victor, I like the Salzburg pics, especially the castle - in spite of the flat, cloudy light you had to contend with. Was that an APS camera? (judging from the long rectangular format).

Question: why Catawba? That's an American tree with enormous leaves.

Thanks. The Austria pictures were taken with an APS and then scanned direct from the negative. I have a canon scanner which can do upto 4000dpi.

Whay Catawba. Well we like wine, ans Shiraz, Merlot etc were already taken, so I started looking for other grapes which were not so well known and came across Catawba, which is a grape grown in NY State. Later I found out about Catawba County in S.Carolina (?) and the city of Catawba. Still later found out about the tribe of Flat Head Indians, also called Catawba. I found this was appropriate as well, I keep hitting my head on the wall DUHHH!)

I didnt know about the tree.

The Wheels and Flowers picture is a 3072 x 2048 JPEG 4MB.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Victor
Free member

Postby chabrenas » Sun 31 Aug 2003 20:49 GMT

Any Eastern Seaboard folk here? Maybe the tree was catalpa? There was one next to the 'winterised' wooden shack I lived in in Rhinebeck. Leaves more than twice the width of the ones on a mulberry tree.

Resolution of your wheel pic is a bit on the low side, and would have to be the TIFF file. Your Canon scanner will produce what we need - about 5300 x 3500 pixels from a 35mm slide or neg - i.e. a TIFF of just over 50 Mbytes. Too big to send over the net!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby Victor » Sat 6 Sep 2003 09:02 GMT

chabrenas wrote:Any Eastern Seaboard folk here? Maybe the tree was catalpa? There was one next to the 'winterised' wooden shack I lived in in Rhinebeck. Leaves more than twice the width of the ones on a mulberry tree.

Resolution of your wheel pic is a bit on the low side, and would have to be the TIFF file. Your Canon scanner will produce what we need - about 5300 x 3500 pixels from a 35mm slide or neg - i.e. a TIFF of just over 50 Mbytes. Too big to send over the net!

Havin g done a quick search...

http://www.streetside.com/plants/florid ... atalpa.htm

http://plantsdatabase.com/go/1682/

Is this what you are thinking of?
Posted by:
Victor
Free member

Postby chabrenas » Sat 6 Sep 2003 17:01 GMT

That's it, Victor. Now I can remember the scent. Note that some people, particularly in the South, call them Catawba. Mine was way north of its natural habitat in Rhinebeck, with -11 degrees F in winter and people fishing through holes in the frozen lake (even making fires on the ice!), but it flourishd all the same.
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Previous

Return to Photographers and Artists