It is currently Sun 29 Mar 2020 16:09 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Photographers and Artists

Your photos

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

Your photos

Postby Kay » Fri 2 Sep 2005 12:34 GMT

Don't forget to share your photos here. We've not had any for a while. We used one of my photos for last week's POTW. Looks like we'll have to do the same again this week.

Surely someone has a photo for us. Pretty please?
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

And now for something completely different

Postby Savannah_Alan » Fri 2 Sep 2005 15:44 GMT

I needed a photo for some local advertising for my computer repair/networking business.
This photo was taken on the kitchen counter with the aid of a ballpoint pen spring and some blue tac.
Photoshop work included, optimisation, removing the visible blue-tac and adding the gradient background.

(click image for larger version)

Alan.
Last edited by Savannah_Alan on Sun 30 Apr 2006 23:58 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby Kay » Fri 2 Sep 2005 16:22 GMT

Wow! Very imaginative and eye-catching. Thanks.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Re: Your photos

Postby Mike » Fri 2 Sep 2005 21:36 GMT

Kay wrote:Don't forget to share your photos here. We've not had any for a while.

Maybe that's because it's not user friendly. We have (rightly) ditched the umpteen-page PotW thread, but what we need here is a sticky, clearly explaining not only how to submit pics, but exactly where to post them.

Mike
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby Kay » Fri 2 Sep 2005 21:58 GMT

what we need here is a sticky, clearly explaining not only how to submit pics, but exactly where to post them.

What's wrong with the three announcements at the top of this board? :?
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Mike » Fri 2 Sep 2005 22:49 GMT

:) :)

Oops, is that me being prickly, or you?

All of the three stickies pre-date the current changes. I'm not havin' a go, pal, honest.

We just need some updating

Mike
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby Kay » Fri 2 Sep 2005 22:56 GMT

Ach, it's hard to keep up with everything sometimes. I think our regulars know what's going on, though, and newbies aren't usually in the habit of contributing photos.

Maybe a wee bit of updating would be a good idea if anyone finds the time to do it.

8)
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Fri 2 Sep 2005 23:56 GMT

I've deleted the "Normal service resumes" posting, which has now been overtaken, and made a minor tweak to the submission guidelines to reflect the change in the way PotWs are selected. No need to change the "How to post" guidance.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby SSue » Sat 3 Sep 2005 01:41 GMT

That's fantastic Alan, what a clever idea, and so eyecatching.

SSue 8)
Sydney Sue - Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
Read all about it! http://www.britishexpat.com/563.0.html
Posted by:
SSue
Supporter

Location: From Grimsby, Lincolnshire, to Sydney, then Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Postby ruggie » Sun 4 Sep 2005 13:37 GMT

Nice one, Alan. Lens?
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Sun 4 Sep 2005 13:56 GMT

Surely someone has a photo for us. Pretty please?

Not much on file that fits vertical format well.
[img]http://[domain%20now%20obsolete]/images/Farrier2BcroppedFitScreen.jpg[/img]

Any use? Sorry, it needs a quick tweak to improve the contrast and I don't have the time for the next few days.

This South African farrier used to travel most of the year - including up into Botswana, where I photographed him with my trusty old AE-1.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby JayneR » Sun 4 Sep 2005 15:24 GMT

Alan - I hesitate to put this in writing but when I saw your photo, I actually thought to myself "Hmm! didn't know they were on springs. Looks painful!" :roll: Then I realised, of course. Not that daft, yet. :lol: Nice photo.

Ruggie - nice photo too. Something comforting about seeing the old crafts still in use. All is not lost.

See ya! :D
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
JayneR
Free member

Postby Kay » Sun 4 Sep 2005 15:51 GMT

Interesting photo thanks, Ruggie.

Photos don't have to be in portrait format as long as we can crop the thumbnail into that format. See Alan's on our home page compared to the full version on the click-through.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Mojan » Sun 4 Sep 2005 21:46 GMT

Two completely different photos.

Alan, you cheered my day up no end when I saw yours. Very clever! :lol:

Ruggie - I thought your photo oozed atmosphere. Good subject choice
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Mojan
Free member

Postby ruggie » Mon 5 Sep 2005 20:46 GMT

Thanks, Mojan. Even when my pics were technically faulty (in this one, the focus is on the horse's tail, not the hoof - I was never very good at focusing using a split-image viewfinder, so I'm grateful for autofocus on modern cameras), I usually managed to create atmosphere. That's what persuaded me to take photography more seriously.

That was my first effort at photographing horses. Brilliant overhead sunlight, slide film, and no fill-in flash (the farrier's face is lit by reflection from the sandy ground, but I didn't realise this at the time). Surprising that I got any useable pics, but I did.
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Next

Return to Photographers and Artists