It is currently Thu 2 Apr 2020 20:25 GMT
Change font size

Photographers and Artists

Your photos

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

Postby Purley » Tue 27 Sep 2005 16:08 GMT

I decided I should post a photograph of Saskatchewan prairie. My girlfriend and I go to Moose Jaw quite often. Its a small City, but they have really taken advantage of their tourist attractions. A few years ago the Moose Jaw spa opened. Its mineral spa and apparently the waters there have similar mineral content to the waters at Bath. The water for the spa comes out of the ground but its so hot that they have to cool it down before it gets to the pool.

http://www.templegardens.sk.ca/

There is also a story about the tunnels dug under the city and that Al Capone used them to smuggle booze during prohibition. You can tour the tunnels with guides dressed up in costumes of the day.

http://www.tunnelsofmoosejaw.com/

This is a photograph taken on the edge of the city looking south towards the RCAF Training base, home of the Snowbirds, the Canadian Airforce aerobatics team.

People from England often are told that the prairies are flat and boring, but if you take the time to discover the countryside, you will find that this is far from true. Flat - yes -- boring -- no! The photo is a bit dark, but it shows the prairie with the Coteau Hills in the background. I tried lightening it up but then it messed up the sky. One of the names for Saskatchewan is "big sky country". You can probably see why.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/lizwil98/0e490e1d.jpg

[Image changed to a link. Sorry, Liz, but a picture 727 pixels wide is far too big for many people's browsers to cope with. About half that is the most we can reliably accommodate on the forum before the pages start spilling off the side. - Dave]
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby Mojan » Tue 27 Sep 2005 23:50 GMT

Nice to see the prairie photo Liz. I must own up to never having seen or visited a prairie and your photo was different to how I imagined a prairie to look. For one thing I didn't think it would be as green as it looks from the photo. I imagined it would be dry sandy country, yet this one shows it to be lush and green.

Oh yes, and I also imagined those little animals popping up from burrows underground.....like on all the best cartoons!! :lol:

The Moose Jaw Spa looked pretty wonderful - should I ever be lucky enough to visit your part of the world, I will definitely have to visit that!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Mojan
Free member

Postby Purley » Wed 28 Sep 2005 14:07 GMT

I read the guidelines about photos and it said "less than 100 k". I checked my photo and it said 69 K so I thought it must be alright. I was just following the guidelines!!

For future reference - if 69 k is too big - what size should photos be? When you have highspeed, you have no idea how long photos take to load when you have dial-up.

Why don't you change the guidelines to show the biggest (in K) photo you can post so that people with dial-up can see it quickly?
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby Dave » Wed 28 Sep 2005 17:41 GMT

lizwil98 wrote:I read the guidelines about photos and it said "less than 100 k". I checked my photo and it said 69 K so I thought it must be alright. I was just following the guidelines!!

69K is fine, Liz, but that's only the size of the file - not the size of the picture as it appears on your screen. There's a guideline about picture dimensions too: no more than 400px by 266px. Otherwise people have to scroll from side to side or up and down, if they don't have a big enough screen.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Purley » Wed 28 Sep 2005 20:41 GMT

Oh - I don't think I understand that! I thought the 69K was the size of the file and the file was the picture. On Photobucket I don't think you can choose the number of pixels.

So - if I save them in Photobucket and they are about 3 x 4 or something that would be OK. But if I want them bigger, then I should just post a link? Would that be OK?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby Dave » Wed 28 Sep 2005 20:55 GMT

Spot on, Liz. If either the width or the height is bigger than about 400 pixels it means people with smaller screens have to start scrolling to see the whole page. (This is particularly annoying on forum pages, where ALL the postings suddenly become wider than normal and you have to scroll from side to side to read them.)

So better to post a link if you've got no other means of resizing your picture.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed 28 Sep 2005 21:10 GMT

A further thought - image size and file size aren't necessarily related. All other things being equal, a big picture will have a larger file size than a small one. But a big picture with relatively few variations in colour and low definition (fewer pixels per square inch) may be a smaller file than a small picture with a lot of different colours and high definition/picture quality.

Pictures on the Internet are typically shown at about a quarter of the definition needed for a decent print.
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Mike » Thu 29 Sep 2005 21:04 GMT

DrDaveHPP wrote:A further thought - image size and file size aren't necessarily related.

Indeed, and jpegs are best here, if perhaps not for publishing. Tiffs, etc use much larger files.

Can I make the following comments, intended to be helpful, without sounding either patronising, or sounding like a pretentious tw*t to those who know far more than me . .

1. Use your imaging software to convert you pic to jpeg format.

2. Use your imaging software to resize your pic to perhaps 250 x X in portrait, or 400 x X in landscape.

3. Save as ([filename] - reduced).

4. Upload both images to Photobucket - the larger one will be automatically resized to 250K

5. From Photobucket, select your reduced image. Copy and paste the IMG link into your post. That will produce the small visible image.

6. Then select your full-size image in Photobucket, and copy and paste the URL link to your post. That will produce a clickable link to your full-size image.

Mike
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby Purley » Fri 30 Sep 2005 14:07 GMT

I used to have those instructions but I lost them - thanks for posting it again.
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Previous

Return to Photographers and Artists