It is currently Mon 6 Apr 2020 03:56 GMT
Change font size

Photographers and Artists

Kicking Up the Dirt

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

Kicking Up the Dirt

Postby Mike » Sun 2 Oct 2005 17:27 GMT

That's a great POTW, Mike. And the Ed cropped it to portrait with great success, tempting us to click through to the original, which is better. :wink:

Mike
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby Kay » Sun 2 Oct 2005 19:41 GMT

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Now I'm lost for words... :lol:
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Sun 2 Oct 2005 19:43 GMT

Thanks, Mike - and yes, the Ed did a great job on croppig it. If you want to see it in greater detail, take a look here:
[url]http://[domain now obsolete]/images/%7ELWF0087.jpg[/url]
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Wed 5 Oct 2005 18:50 GMT

Oh yes! It looks great, thanks for this.

I've enjoyed the discussion about it - and the compliments about cropping, thank you. :D

But just for the hell of it, do you think the original photo is cropped as well as it could be? (Ruggie, I know you're not the type to take offence and you enjoy discussion.) Even sticking with a landscape shot, I wonder if a tighter crop might be better.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Thu 6 Oct 2005 06:58 GMT

It's a while back, so I'm not certain - but I think most of the pics of the Desert Race on Freebooters are uncropped. I really was that close - lens set at around 80mm, close enough to get showered in dirt as the cars went by. Check the proportions of the images - if they're pretty well exactly 24 x 36, they're uncropped.

I've just looked at 'Chucking the dirt around'. It is cropped, but mostly just to eliminate empty sky. I think I left too much free space in front of the car, though - you can crop more than half of that away without having nowhere for the car to go. If anyone is keen to have a go, try framing it with the front coming out of the frame, but since I didn't get the whole of the rear wheels in the original slide that may not work too well.

Although the original scans were about 5300 x 3500 pixels, only a few are sharp enough to tolerate heavy cropping or big enlargements. Image fuzziness is mostly camera shake and depth of field - I was using ISO100 slide film most of the time, in mid-morning sunlight.

If the driver's face had been lit, it could have been worth cropping really tightly on the side window - you've chosen one where focus was on the middle of the car, rather than one of the ends :)
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Photographers and Artists