It is currently Mon 6 Apr 2020 05:34 GMT
Change font size

Photographers and Artists

Tutorial: How to post a photo using PhotoBox

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

Tutorial: How to post a photo using PhotoBox

Postby Dave » Fri 14 Oct 2005 16:19 GMT

For people who don't have web hosting of their own or who aren't familiar with handling images on the internet, PhotoBox offers a free online photo album service which you can also use to post your photos on this forum. (It's free to you, and they pay us a commission when you sign up - which you can do by clicking on the PhotoBox button to the right of this posting.)

You can find out about how to use PhotoBox on their site. I won't go into the details here, except to say that it all seems pretty straightforward and self-explanatory.

There are several ways to post a picture on this forum, but this is the best:

1.) Log in to your PhotoBox account and click on "My Albums" in the top navigation bar below the PhotoBox logo. Then click on the title of the photo album where your chosen picture is.

2). Before you can use your picture, you need to be sure the album it's in is "Public" - if it is, there'll be a message telling you so below the album title. If the message tells you that your album is private, then click on the "(change)" link, then click on the "Post on the web" tab. You'll see a button with the message "Activate web sharing" - click on it. (NB this doesn't mean that anyone can gain access to your album - it just means that they can see the pictures if you choose to let them know where they are.)

3.) Return to the album by clicking on the title (on the left-hand side of the screen).

4.) Click on the thumbnail image of your chosen picture (a thumbnail is a small version of a picture, usually linking to a larger version). This takes you to a page with a larger version of the image that sits nicely on the screen - not too big - as well as a "Buy Photo" menu and various details about your picture (which you can ignore).

PC users (Mac users should go skip 5-7 and go to 8 ):

5.) Right-click on the picture and choose "Properties". This will show you the address of the individual image - it's a long line of code towards the middle of the window, and it looks like this:

Code: Select all
http://img.photobox.co.uk/[long string of numbers and letters].jpg

6.) Copy this address. To do this you hold down your left mouse button and drag your pointer across the address, then right-click on the highlighted address and choose "Copy".

7.) Now skip to No. 10 below.

Mac users (this is what I had to do. If you've got a neater way of doing it, please let me know - I'm using OS 8.6!):

8.) Click and hold your mouse button on the picture and choose "Open Image in New Window"

9.) Click in the address bar of the new window, then click on "Edit" in the main menu bar at the top of your screen and choose "Copy".

10.) Come back to the forum and open a posting where you want to add your picture. Click at the place where you want your picture, click on the Img button above the body of your message, then paste the copied address (click on "Edit" in the main menu bar at the top of your screen and choose "Paste"), then click on the /Img button.

11.) When you've finished your posting, hit "Submit" in the usual way. All being well, your photo should appear in your posting, something like this...

Last edited by Dave on Fri 10 Sep 2010 12:23 GMT, edited 3 times in total.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Photographers and Artists