It is currently Thu 2 Apr 2020 10:52 GMT
Change font size

Photographers and Artists

Trannies to digital format?

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

Trannies to digital format?

Postby Kay » Tue 18 Oct 2005 17:30 GMT

I unearthed a heap of my old trannies in the loft. All sorts of stuff - some of it worth putting on BE. What's the best way of getting them converted to digital format? (They're packed now so I won't be tackling this till we get home to Thailand. The photo shops are pretty good and cheap there.)

I thought perhaps I would need to have prints made of the trannies and then scan them in. Have I missed something obvious?

I also found a heap of B&W negs, some interesting stuff there too, such as a Sealed Knot battle enactment, and a trip to Vietnam.

I used to have two AE1 bodies, one with colour trannies and the other with B&W film. Then one body went "missing" in Turkey and I lost interest in taking photos for a while when I was in Iraq.

The great thing with the digi SLR is you don't need the two bodies any more. :D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Tue 18 Oct 2005 18:57 GMT

Hi Kay,
it depends on the quality you want. Whenever I buy a scanner for the computer, I always make sure it has a negative/slide attachment. I have used this quite a lot to scan many slides that I have from the past.

This photo was scanned using a regular flatbed scanner with a slide attachment, as was this.

There also some dedicated slide scanners available (Nikon used to make a good one), which are more expensive. I guess it all depends on the end quality you need.

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby Kay » Tue 18 Oct 2005 19:29 GMT

Great photos, Alan!

Thanks.

We already have a flatbed scanner at home but I don't think it has a slide attachment (maybe you can buy it as an add on? I've no idea.). Ours is a cheapo which scans, photocopies, and makes the tea, etc.

My purpose is mainly to add stuff to BE, so I wouldn't be needing the same kind of quality as one would need for print media. If there was ever a chance of selling any of my stuff then I would consider investing in better equipment but for the moment I basically want something to do a job which would be adequate quality for, say, the POTW or a BE e-card.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Tue 18 Oct 2005 19:38 GMT

Kay wrote:Great Photos Alan!

Thanks Kay.
You will know if your scanner is capable of doing slides because there will be either an extra attachment that just sits on the scanner bed, or there will be provisions in the lid of the scanner to place your negatives/positives. Either way, they will have a white area where they will shine light from the top through the negative or positive.

I don't know about the cost in London or Thailand, but scanners here are very cheap - even with slide attachments, I would expect to pick a new one up for between $60 and $80.

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Postby Kay » Tue 18 Oct 2005 19:54 GMT

Thanks again. I'm not sure what scanner we have in Thailand but scanners are quite cheap there - probably in the price range you mention. It sounds as though, if the one we have doesn't do what we need, it'll be worth buying one which does rather than messing about getting prints etc.

I thought I'd lost all this stuff somewhere along the way, and found it in a bin bag at the back of the loft. What a find! There's stuff of the Khyber Pass, the Pakistan/Afghanistan border in the late '80s, Vietnam in the early '90s, and so on and on... :D

You guys have got competition for the POTW! :lol:
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Tue 18 Oct 2005 20:00 GMT

Kay wrote:I thought I'd lost all this stuff somewhere along the way, and found it in a bin bag at the back of the loft. What a find! There's stuff of the Khyber Pass, the Pakistan/Afghanistan border in the late 80s, Vietnam in the early 90s, and so on and on... Very Happy

That's great. The real power of photos - the treats they give when discovered after time. I'll look forward to seeing some.

BTW, that's what worries me about digital media - I wonder what the chances would have been of finding these photos after all these years had they been on CD...

Alan.
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Postby Kay » Tue 18 Oct 2005 20:14 GMT

Yeah, we've already chucked CDs and thought afterwards that we should've kept them. Too easy to dispose of things and regret after.

Anyway, I've not had time to go through everything so I've just packed it and look forward to having a good old root through it later. Or maybe it'll stay in the under stairs storage space in our Thailand home. I hope not.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Tue 18 Oct 2005 20:17 GMT

I don't know about you, but I really miss seeing photographs (especially scenery) projected on a screen. They always had such a lovely 3 dimensional quality to them. Oh well, progress...

Alan.
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Postby Kay » Tue 18 Oct 2005 20:26 GMT

I never had a projector, only a little hand-held thing to look at them in. I don't have it any more as it's in with the darkroom kit which a pal of ours has fallen heir to. Aye, progress, but nomads must accept some sacrifices.

What a great find, though, a real gem amongst all the hassles and nasty stuff with the snooty charity shop woman. It's enough to make me want to go in the loft again. :D
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Wed 19 Oct 2005 07:41 GMT

As Alan says, there is absolutely nothing to beat projected slides. Even the most expensive print cannot reproduce some of the colors you see on a projector screen, and no image reflected off a piece of paper can have the same highlights. A monitor does a better job on the highlights, but has comparatively low resolution and still has a colour gamut that can't reproduce everything you see in a projected transparency.

Kay, look for a Jessops shop near you - their bottom-of-the-range slide scanner costs 100 pounds and scans 35mm at 3600 dpi, which is more than enough for what you need. The software with it is fairly basic, so you'll need to buy a can or two of compressed air to blow the slides clean, and use Photoshop to fix any scratches, etc.

However, you should be able to buy an equivalent scanner cheaper in Thailand. They're made in Asia anyway.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Fri 2 Apr 2010 20:39 GMT

OK, sorry for grave digging, but I had a feeling I'd asked this question before...

Meanwhile, I've done nothing - life got in the way (and four house moves). :) But I still have a heap of trannies and some of them might be useful for something. Technology must have changed so much since I first asked my question.

Is your advice still the same as it was five years ago or should I be looking for something different now?

What can I do with my trannies? I would very much like to have them in some kind of digital format.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Fri 2 Apr 2010 20:53 GMT

Wow. That really was grave digging wasn't it? :-)

Short answer: Yep. Everything is the same.
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Postby Dave » Sat 3 Apr 2010 02:15 GMT

Sounds like a trip to our local electronics mall is on the cards then. :-D
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sat 3 Apr 2010 11:39 GMT

Wow. That really was grave digging wasn't it?

It's my forum, I can do what I like. :lol: :twisted: :twisted:

Thanks for the info. I really must do something about this but it's incredible how the time seems to disappear.

Anyone want to put money on when the next plea for help comes?

Fast forward to April 2015: Kay writes, "What am I going to do with all my trannies?" :wink:
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Sat 3 Apr 2010 16:16 GMT

Since it's just trannies you're going to scan, look for the latest model of the Nikon slide scanner.

A word of warning, though. I still have about 2,000 slides inherited from a friend - pics of East Africa, mostly Ektachrome taken on a Leica. Some of the colour has faded a little, but the real trouble is that once you look at them carefully you realise that they are filthy, although they have been looked after well and spent all their lives in closed boxes. I've scanned about 100 so far, but wonder whether I shouldn't do an initial triage with a lightbox to selct the ones that are worth scanning, since it takes about 1 minute per slide.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Next

Return to Photographers and Artists