It is currently Thu 2 Apr 2020 06:51 GMT
Change font size

Photographers and Artists

A few questions about digital photos

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

A few questions about digital photos

Postby Purley » Thu 27 Oct 2005 14:18 GMT

Hope they haven't already been answered.

1. when you email a photo to someone and at the other end its abolutely HUGE and they have to scroll back and forth and up and down - is this because the photo is a high resolution one?

2. When I pull up a photo in my software and it says its 2211 x 1639 - what are those numbers? Are they pixels or what?

3. If I crop a photo - does that reduce the number of pixels? Are pixels the number of dots per inch or something?

4. If I resize a photo from 2211 to 1200 - does that reduce the actual size of the photo or if those are pixels - does it make less pixels and less pixels means the photo is not so sharp?

I cropped a photo and I straightened it - I did not resize it - I sent it to a friend and she said she thought it was not as "crisp" as the uncropped one. Could this happen?
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Thu 27 Oct 2005 15:17 GMT

Yes, Liz, you need to reduce the size of a pic before e-mailing it to anyone. (Picasa, which you can download free from Google, automatically reduces the size of a pic if you click on the button to e-mail it to someone - other programs may do the same).

Pixel=picture element= a dot on a screen or on a printer.

The commonest setting for PC screens is still 800 x 600 pixels, so e-mailed pics should be much smaller than this.

2211 x 1639 is probably the original size of the pic from your camera (2211 x 1639 is about 4 million, indicating a 4 Mpixel camera resolution).

I set my PC Screen at 1024 x 768 resolution, so if you e-mailed me a 2211 X 1639 image it would still be more than twice as high and twice as wide as my screen.

Cropping removes part of the picture, so if you don't resize it you will end up with less pixels.

Straightening a picture will generally make it fuzzier if you keep the original size - Always rotate at the original resolution and then reduce the size afterwards ( if you are going to reduce it). If you want to print at the original size after straightening it, you may need to use a photo editor such as Photoshop to sharpen the image for best results - but this requires a fair amount of skill to make any improvement. (In most cases, slight 'sharpening' will improve the print in any case.)
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Purley » Thu 27 Oct 2005 21:33 GMT

Thanks. I downloaded Picasa and it worked really well. Of course now I have one more photo editing piece of software but still, I did find it easy.
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Purley
Supporter

Return to Photographers and Artists