It is currently Sun 29 Mar 2020 15:24 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Photographers and Artists

My Latest Toy

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

My Latest Toy

Postby Savannah_Alan » Thu 17 Nov 2005 05:37 GMT

Well, I've been taking some shots of houses with my lovely new Nikon and realised that my zoom lens isn't wide enough.
The camera comes with a very nice 18-70 zoom lens, but, given that lenses produce different results on digital cameras (a 100mm lens acts like a 150mm lens), it is not wide enough for interior shots.

I nearly shelled out for the Nikon 12-24 zoom at around $1,000, but in the end decided to go for the Tokina equivalent at half the price and spend some of the difference on a nice flash unit. It arrived today and first impressions are very favourable. It gets very good reviews on the Internet also.
It is amazing what a difference a good wide angle makes when shooting rooms. We have a quite small dining room which I shot tonight with the new lens. Who says the camera doesn't lie? The photo makes the room look easily twice the size it is!

I'm justifying the expense with a combination of ideas for business. Being a realtor now, it's my business to get in front of FSBOs (For Sale By Owner), and eventually convince them to list with me. I'm thinking of creating a flyer and offering my photography services to take shots of their house for their advertising material. At worst, it gets me a few bucks for the photo work, and at best, I'm "in the door" as far as an eventual listing goes :wink: . Well, that's enough justification for me anyway :)

Of course, the fact that I've got a great lens for my hobby photography doesn't hurt either :wink: .

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby Kay » Thu 17 Nov 2005 06:38 GMT

Sounds great, Alan.

When (if :? ) we sell our house a wide angle lens is also on my list of things to get. I looked at a Canon one in a local camera shop back in Blighty but it was around GBP 700. They did have other lenses at around half the price. I dunno, I think if I got one that wasn't a Canon then I'd always be hankering after the Canon one. :P

Mind you, I had several Miranda lenses years ago (For my AE1) and found they produced excellent results. Maybe I'm too concerned with the "label"?
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Thu 17 Nov 2005 06:51 GMT

Yes, I was very close to getting the Nikon one simply for the name, but after reading quite a few reviews on the Internet, there seemed to be very little to justify the extra $500. In fact, in some areas, the Tokina lens outdid the Nikon (Nikkor) one. When I considered the extra goodies that I could get with the money I'd "saved", it made an easy choice. The next lens I get, I'll get payback for the digital 1.5 lens difference. I'll be buying the 55-200mm zoom, which is far cheaper and it will be the equivalent of a 300mm for film!

While I was ordering, I paid the $19 for the tiny remote control shutter release. It's like a miniature TV remote control (except it just has one button). I really don't know why they didn't supply it with the camera. Very useful though.

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Return to Photographers and Artists