It is currently Thu 2 Apr 2020 20:01 GMT
Change font size

Photographers and Artists

My Latest Toy

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

My Latest Toy

Postby Savannah_Alan » Thu 17 Nov 2005 05:37 GMT

Well, I've been taking some shots of houses with my lovely new Nikon and realised that my zoom lens isn't wide enough.
The camera comes with a very nice 18-70 zoom lens, but, given that lenses produce different results on digital cameras (a 100mm lens acts like a 150mm lens), it is not wide enough for interior shots.

I nearly shelled out for the Nikon 12-24 zoom at around $1,000, but in the end decided to go for the Tokina equivalent at half the price and spend some of the difference on a nice flash unit. It arrived today and first impressions are very favourable. It gets very good reviews on the Internet also.
It is amazing what a difference a good wide angle makes when shooting rooms. We have a quite small dining room which I shot tonight with the new lens. Who says the camera doesn't lie? The photo makes the room look easily twice the size it is!

I'm justifying the expense with a combination of ideas for business. Being a realtor now, it's my business to get in front of FSBOs (For Sale By Owner), and eventually convince them to list with me. I'm thinking of creating a flyer and offering my photography services to take shots of their house for their advertising material. At worst, it gets me a few bucks for the photo work, and at best, I'm "in the door" as far as an eventual listing goes :wink: . Well, that's enough justification for me anyway :)

Of course, the fact that I've got a great lens for my hobby photography doesn't hurt either :wink: .

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby Kay » Thu 17 Nov 2005 06:38 GMT

Sounds great, Alan.

When (if :? ) we sell our house a wide angle lens is also on my list of things to get. I looked at a Canon one in a local camera shop back in Blighty but it was around GBP 700. They did have other lenses at around half the price. I dunno, I think if I got one that wasn't a Canon then I'd always be hankering after the Canon one. :P

Mind you, I had several Miranda lenses years ago (For my AE1) and found they produced excellent results. Maybe I'm too concerned with the "label"?
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Thu 17 Nov 2005 06:51 GMT

Yes, I was very close to getting the Nikon one simply for the name, but after reading quite a few reviews on the Internet, there seemed to be very little to justify the extra $500. In fact, in some areas, the Tokina lens outdid the Nikon (Nikkor) one. When I considered the extra goodies that I could get with the money I'd "saved", it made an easy choice. The next lens I get, I'll get payback for the digital 1.5 lens difference. I'll be buying the 55-200mm zoom, which is far cheaper and it will be the equivalent of a 300mm for film!

While I was ordering, I paid the $19 for the tiny remote control shutter release. It's like a miniature TV remote control (except it just has one button). I really don't know why they didn't supply it with the camera. Very useful though.

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Return to Photographers and Artists