It is currently Tue 31 Mar 2020 10:00 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Photographers and Artists

Thanksgiving Display

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

Thanksgiving Display

Postby Savannah_Alan » Fri 18 Nov 2005 01:46 GMT

Living in South Georgia, USA, I find I live in a very monochromatic world. Apart from a few weeks in the spring, I find very little colour here and there are very few flowers to speak of.

So my eyes were immediately drawn to this scene outside a church in Springfield, Georgia.

(Click on the image for a larger version).

Alan.
Last edited by Savannah_Alan on Sun 30 Apr 2006 23:54 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Re: Thanksgiving Display

Postby Mike » Sat 19 Nov 2005 19:06 GMT

Alan, the colours are great, and technically it is an excellent photo. But forgive me if I chip in wearing my other hat . . .

Savannah_Alan wrote:there are very few flowers to speak of.

I sympathise with that. But rather no flowers at all than supermarket pot mums (Chrysanthemums), three-quarters dead. Even If they were in full flower, I would still have to make this point.

Pot Mums are artificially created using growth-inhibiting chemicals which some studies have claimed are carcinogenic - allegedly. (Obviously, I have to say allegedly.)

But I still like the pic :)

Mike
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby Savannah_Alan » Sat 19 Nov 2005 19:50 GMT

Wow, that's interesting Mike. I didn't know that. Yes, you're probably right about the "flowers". It's called desperation though. I see so little colour here. I don't know why there are so very few flowers here. I guess, it must be the climate - you'd know more than I.

Funny that my favourite type of photography is landscape, and there are absolutely no opportunities for that here. There are some great opportunities 5 hours North in the mountains, but the Savannah area is pretty much flat marshland or endless impenetrable pine trees. We get two choices of colour: green in the summer and brown in the winter :(

I went back to the same location to take that shot again today because when I shot the photo above, it was late afternoon and I couldn't avoid getting my shadow in the shot (I cropped myself out). When I went back this morning though, there was no sun on the display and so I used some fill-in flash. I haven't looked at the pictures yet, but on the way home I realised that I hadn't taken the lens hood off when using the fill-in flash so I bet I'll get a shadow in those shots :roll: . Oh well, there's always tomorrow...

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Postby Kay » Sun 20 Nov 2005 14:30 GMT

Yes, the colours are beautiful. Good shot, Alan.

We have plenty of colour here. It's very green at the moment as we've had a lot of rain. Actually it's very green most of the time.

Some you win and some you lose. We had another scorpion inside the house today - probably as a result of the rain. Dave tried to catch it on the end of a brush to throw it outside, as usual, but it scuttled off down the drain hole from where it had presumably come in in the first place.

The mozzies are out in force too, and we'd got out of the habit of the constant battle with them. I guess every area has its pros and cons. 8)
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sun 20 Nov 2005 14:39 GMT

Nice contrast of blue and orange there, Alan!

Kay wrote:We have plenty of colour here. It's very green at the moment as we've had a lot of rain. Actually it's very green most of the time.

Chief sources of colour outside our house at the moment (apart from the green) are the butterflies - there are usually plenty of them around. The most colourful are probably the Orange Tips, which I think also appear in the UK from time to time. But there are some yellow ones too, which I haven't yet been able to identify, as well as some black ones with white spots.

And our bougainvillea are also flowering - the ones which we didn't manage to kill off before we went to London :roll:

We had a nice blue sky today, too - the rain seems to be coming to an end, rather later this year than usual. Not a bad thing that it's been raining, though; there are serious water shortages in the area, not helped by all the new hotels/resorts/condos that are being built. Urban planning is in about as short supply as the water.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Thu 1 Dec 2005 16:05 GMT

Here is another take on the same picture (sorry about keep showing those "flowers" mike. I've just got this one back from the printers. I had it blow up to 24'x30' and mounted in a poster frame. I couldn't be more pleased with the results! Not even a hint of pixelation at that size. And I got two photos printed that size for $9.95 each! I'm going to run out of wall space at this rate!

(Click on image for larger version)

Alan.
Last edited by Savannah_Alan on Sun 30 Apr 2006 23:55 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Thu 1 Dec 2005 16:20 GMT

So even Wurzel Gummidge has become a British Expat now....
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Thu 1 Dec 2005 16:28 GMT

Have you got your 200mm zoom lens yet? If the display is still there, I'd like to see a pic taken with the 200mm at full aperture (and a tripod!)...
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Savannah_Alan » Thu 1 Dec 2005 18:49 GMT

ruggie wrote:Have you got your 200mm zoom lens yet? If the display is still there, I'd like to see a pic taken with the 200mm at full aperture (and a tripod!)...

No Mike, I don't have that lens yet. That shot was taken with my new 12-24mm Tokina lens. I'm heading up to the North Georgia mountains (Blue Ridge Mountains) this weekend and I'm taking my camera with me (of course), so I hope to come back with some decent landscapes with the new lens :) .

Alan.
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Thu 1 Dec 2005 20:26 GMT

At this time of year, you should get some nice pics. Any plans to rise early, or will you concentrate on late afternoon/evening shots? :twisted:
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Savannah_Alan » Thu 1 Dec 2005 21:09 GMT

ruggie wrote:At this time of year, you should get some nice pics. Any plans to rise early, or will you concentrate on late afternoon/evening shots? :twisted:

Well, I'd like the idea of getting up early, but historically, I don't do early mornings :roll: .

My trip isn't for pleasure, so my photography will only be "squeezed in" when and as I can. I guess late afternoon/evening is going to be far more likely and divided between North Georgia, Nashville and Chattanooga Tennessee.
Still, I'm hopeful for coming away with at least one or two usable shots.

Alan.
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Fri 2 Dec 2005 20:07 GMT

Sounds like a music-related trip. Have fun!
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Photographers and Artists