It is currently Tue 26 May 2020 21:38 GMT
Change font size

Photographers and Artists

The death of film...

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

The death of film...

Postby CustomStrat » Fri 13 Jan 2006 18:47 GMT

Nikon have announced that they will cease manufacturing film cameras because of the growth of digital. I'm not really surprised since, working in a pawn shop, I'm seeing that we rarely sell any film cameras anymore and when someone brings one in to sell or pawn we find that the value of them has dropped significantly and generally we won't bother.

These days, even a complete Hasselblad can be had for less than $500...

I'm wondering how long it'll be before Kodak stops manufacturing film.

Me? I'm holding out for the Hasselblad H2D, 22 megapixals. Average price: $25,000...!!!
I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Postby ruggie » Fri 13 Jan 2006 20:07 GMT

I'll have to wait a while yet. Anyway, I haven't even begun to learn how to drive a Nikon F65...

Meanwhile, I'm slowly learning how to use Photoshop. That skill won't suddenly become redundant.

Doesn't stop me reading about the D200S, though - or about how pros actually use beasts like that.

How do I make a quick hundred grand?
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Savannah_Alan » Sat 14 Jan 2006 03:24 GMT

Yes, I read about that Mike. I guess it was bound to come. I still have a film SLR, but the thought of all that work to get some images means it sits there with a half used roll of film in it..

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Return to Photographers and Artists