It is currently Thu 2 Apr 2020 07:22 GMT
Change font size

Photographers and Artists

I'm a student again

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

I'm a student again

Postby Kay » Fri 26 May 2006 13:42 GMT

I've always wanted to study art so I've stopped messing about and have signed up on an art and design foundation course. It looks really good so far, although a bit of a challenge.

I'm looking forward to it!

If you're interested you can see more about it here:

http://www.studioartschool.co.uk/index.aspx
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Fri 26 May 2006 14:59 GMT

Congratulations. I wish I had time to do something like that. Always fancied myself being able to draw and paint. Oh well.

I hope you enjoy it and it isn't too much pressure. You probably deserve a rest after your last round.

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby Kay » Fri 26 May 2006 15:49 GMT

Thanks, Alan. :D

I dunno if I'll be any good but when you pay for a course it tends to focus the mind a bit. It's a bit of a worry, though, as part of the introductory project I have to create a 3D representation of me. :shock:

Sounds like fun! Yes, I think I need a break from the heavy academic stuff - not ready yet for the PhD, and maybe never will be. 8)
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Fri 26 May 2006 15:55 GMT

Yes, that's often the best thing about structured courses - you commit do seeing it through. I used the same reasoning deciding whether to go through the next level of the dog training course. We could easily go on our own from here, but having to go there every week means you can't get too lazy.

I look forward to seeing some of your work! We have only really seen photos on this forum so far.

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby ruggie » Fri 26 May 2006 18:39 GMT

I have to create a 3D representation of me

Free up your mind, Kay. They didn't say it had to look like you, did they? This is an art course, not a CAD course. Have fun. I envy you.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Fri 26 May 2006 18:52 GMT

Nah, it doesn't have to look like me. :lol:

They seem very flexible about what we can do - par for the course perhaps for art students. I suppose clay is the obvious medium but I was wondering about making something out of food - after all, I'm very interested in cooking.

In any case, my tutor said not to be too apprehensive about it as it's only intended as a warm-up exercise.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Fri 26 May 2006 19:14 GMT

Sounds like a good way to kick off, Kay. Make sure the thing is edible, too - unless you want to encourage the local dogs to scavenge around you.

Just remembered a woman in S Africa who won icing sculpture competitions by such a margin that they told her to go away and let the others have a chance. She showed me a carriage & pair about three feet long that could have been a top class bronze, except that it was white.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Mike » Sat 27 May 2006 18:06 GMT

Kay wrote:when you pay for a course it tends to focus the mind a bit.

I wish you well, Kay. It doesn't work for me. I've paid serious money for courses a number of times in my life, and completed none. What a waste. I begin with a great idea, good intentions, and determination. Then I start questioning what they're telling me, and instead of just getting my head down and doing what's required, I end up arguing and eventually walking away.

Thankfully, we are all different.

Good Luck :)

Mike
(Certificated Chainsaw Operator, Operation, Felling, Safety and Maintenance)
There's loads more to see and do on British Expat— why not check out our home page?
Posted by:
Mike
Supporter

Postby Lindsay » Sat 10 Jun 2006 10:18 GMT

Good for you! That is so cool!

Obviously I don't know how old you are, but if you're older... are you nervous about going back to study?

I've been doing Open Uni this year and when I move to the US I'm going to do an Associates Degree in Photography, and I'm really nervous about going back into the classroom... about being OLD! Relatively I'm not that old at 31, but it's still a bit worrying. Though mostly it's really really exciting!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Lindsay
Free member

Postby Kay » Sat 10 Jun 2006 10:31 GMT

Hi Lyndsay

Thanks for your good wishes.

Nah, I'm not nervous about going back to study. I finished a Master's degree last year (by distance learning). I felt I wanted to continue doing something but needed a break from the academic stuff. I'm a bit apprehensive about doing art and design, though, which is why I have chosen a relatively low level course to do. Completion gets you to university/art school entry level.

You're not old at 31. I think you'll find that you're just a baby compared to most of the gang. :twisted:
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Lindsay » Sat 10 Jun 2006 10:46 GMT

Congratulations on your masters, what was it in? I suppose studying holds little fear then! Although going in a different direction is obviously a bit daunting!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Lindsay
Free member

Postby Kay » Sat 10 Jun 2006 11:07 GMT

Can never resist a chance to mention my MSc e-Business (distinction) :lol: :twisted:

Well, I'm rather proud of it.

You can read my dissertation here (free download):

http://www.flowtheory.com

It's about website usability and my view that there can often be a lack of understanding between business managers and designers. I'm now going down the art & design route to see if I can truly put myself in the other's shoes. And, yes, it is daunting. I haven't done art in a formal sense since I left school (in the mid 70s) - now there's a clue to my age. :wink:
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Return to Photographers and Artists