It is currently Mon 30 Mar 2020 08:28 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Photographers and Artists

Equipment Quandry

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

Postby Savannah_Alan » Thu 6 Mar 2008 19:29 GMT

Well, this is the first time I've had a chance to get back here to report. It's been making me very, very busy.

Anyway, thought I'd give you all a progress report on the weekend.

It was really quite exhausting, but enjoyable. A real learning experience and I think I acquitted myself quite well. The camera was excellent.

The very first session, I took way too many photographs - and had a keep rate of less than one percent :shock:. After that, things get better and better and in very short time, the keep rate had gone up to probably about 98% - with much more selective shooting.
I still managed to take over 5,000 shots during the weekend :?.

I actually turned the camera down because it was just too fast :lol:. It was much more comfortable shooting at four frames a second than at the eight it can do.
You can tell that this camera was specifically made for this sort of job. It was a joy to work with. Focusing is lightning fast, metering almost telepathic and it just felt right in the hand. For such a comprehensive camera, I was "up to speed" with it in no time at all.

I'm getting extremely positive comments about the shots. They're going down extremely well :D.
Thus far, I've only managed to recover my expenses for the weekend. I'm not expecting to make a mint, but it sure is nice that my web site works (I must admit to being a little surprised that when I turned it "live", all worked flawlessly). It sure is nice getting the "You've Got Cash" e-mails from Paypal :lol:. Some people are buying two or three shots at a time.

Here's my favourite shot from the weekend. I call it "Sparky" (click for slightly larger version).

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby Kay » Fri 7 Mar 2008 14:06 GMT

Great stuff! And the best part is that you're having fun doing it too.

That's quite a photo!

I guess business will grow as your reputation does. Good luck!
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Savannah_Alan » Sat 15 Mar 2008 19:25 GMT

I didn't update this, but when I got to the track that weekend, it turned out that there were two photo outfits there and that basically we were in competition. Whoever did better, got the rest of the year's days.

I was a bit peeved when I realised that. They seemed much more better prepared, had a "booth" with banners and marketing materials.
Ah well, I just decided to make the best of it and get on with it.

As it turns out, apparently they were more worried about me than I was about them. It seems I won!

I now have the contract to do ten to twelve more this year as the official (and exclusive) photographer.

Alan.
Don't forget, there's much going on at the main site: http://www.britishexpat.com
The Safe Scooter Riding blog. www.ScootSafely.com
Posted by:
Savannah_Alan
Supporter

Location: Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - Originally from Southend-On-Sea, Essex.

Postby Kay » Sat 15 Mar 2008 20:04 GMT

Whoop-de-doo! Fantastic. That's the kind of news that has me doing a funny little dance. (If it was my project that is.)

You'll be great at it. :D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Photographers and Artists