It is currently Sun 29 Mar 2020 15:58 GMT
Change font size

Latest Message from British Expat:

• UK clocks go forward at the weekend!
    Britain's (and most of Europe's) clocks go forward an hour at 0100 GMT (0200 British Summer Time) on Sunday 29 March.

Photographers and Artists

Watch the birdie

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

Watch the birdie

Postby Toyah » Mon 21 Jul 2008 11:51 GMT

I'm just getting into photography and I really love it, especially wildlife photography. Maybe other people can post their bird pictures here, if they want to? Here's a shot I took yesterday at a falconry. I edited out some leaves and a bit of wall to just leave the eagle.

Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Toyah
Free member

Postby Kay » Mon 21 Jul 2008 11:55 GMT

I'm impressed. But honestly think the pure white background is a bit harsh. Blue might look nicer?

What kind of camera do you use? I've got a Canon digital SLR (D60) and we bought a cheapo camcorder last week - not learned how to use it yet.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Toyah » Mon 21 Jul 2008 12:00 GMT

I'm not quite up to the SLR stage yet. I've got a fake SLR :P A Kodak Z812 IS.

I also think it would look better blue, but I don't know how to do that! I've got 'GIMP' which is like a free photoshop, but I've not fiddled around with it too much yet.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Toyah
Free member

Postby Kay » Mon 21 Jul 2008 13:21 GMT

What happened to the image? :(

I've used an SLR for years. I bought my first one, a Canon AE1, on tick in the late 1980s and took about three years to pay it off. It served me well and I've never regretted the purchase. I'd still be using it, but I upgraded to digi about five years ago (crikey! I still think of it as my "new" camera). It had to be a Canon.

They're great cameras but the downside is that they're heavy and it's an effort to carry the darned thing around sometimes. Worth it, though. :D
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Toyah » Mon 21 Jul 2008 14:49 GMT

What happened to the pic - that's a good question. I registered with Photobox and uploaded it and followed the instructions of how to post it on here, and now it's gone...

If it's allowed, I'll post it using my normal photobucket account. It's the same kind of thing as photobox so I'm not hotlinking. Please let me know if it's not ok.

Posted by:
Toyah
Free member

Postby Kay » Mon 21 Jul 2008 15:10 GMT

Thanks for reposting. I was a bit disappointed to see your first photo had disappeared.

We used to get a few pennies when people did it via PhotoBox (not sure if that's the case any more - I really must try to keep up with things a bit better. :oops: ).

Despite running a few websites, I'm not very "technical" myself - I leave that to my Technical Support Department (aka Dave).

Please excuse my ignorance but what's the purpose of a falconry? Are they breeding the birds for sale or what?

I got smacked on the back of the head by a big kite (bird) once. It swooped down and tried to steal my food.

Story here, if you've nothing better to do:
http://britishexpat.com/asia/india/delh ... kite-mark/
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Toyah » Mon 21 Jul 2008 15:20 GMT

Hehe! Funny story about getting whacked by the bird!

No, they don't sell the birds - I'm fairly sure it's not allowed here. They put on displays of some of the birds they have. We saw an eagle owl, vultures, falcon (as you'd expect) and the sea eagle in my picture. They are really there to educate and to collect funds to help these creatures in the wild.

They throw around meat for the birds, and they fly around catching it and eating it while the falconer tells you about the species and a little bit about the history of keeping birds of prey for hunting purposes. All the proceeds from the shows go towards maintaining the small avairy they have of rescued birds of prey. They also do a lot in schools, teaching kids to respect nature etc, and warning of the dangers of using pesticides, promoting organic farming and things like that.

These guys really love their animals, and it was an interesting day out, as well as a chance to take some really nice pics.

Here's another shot I got of one of the birds - the eagle owl coming in to land. Wish I'd got the other wing tip in the frame, but ho hum - those things fly too fast!!

Posted by:
Toyah
Free member

Postby Kay » Mon 21 Jul 2008 16:08 GMT

Thanks for the info. Very interesting. I believe some of the Arabic nations are very keen on rearing birds of prey, mainly for sport I think.

Hehe! Funny story about getting whacked by the bird!

Not so bleedin' funny if it's your head. :)

They have vultures in a German bird sanctuary? We have an article about vultures in Asia because they're very rapidly becoming an endangered species. Sure, they're not the best looking birds, but they do perform a very important function. I'd not realised that you got vultures in Europe.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Toyah » Mon 21 Jul 2008 16:14 GMT

They don't have them in the wild. People obtain them though and can't look after them... or else zoos want to get rid of them etc etc, and so they go to this sanctuary. The vulture that we saw yesterday was 70 years old, and apparently they can live to be 100!
Posted by:
Toyah
Free member

Postby Kay » Wed 23 Jul 2008 12:59 GMT

Why on earth would anyone want to own a vulture?

It's great they have sanctuaries for them, though. I've not been keeping up with the news, but the last time we had anything to do with vultures was in India. Dave visited because of his work, and I accompanied him as a hanger-on to take photos and stuff. The vultures were in a sad situation - so bad that captive breeding had become essential. The people at the project were absolutely wonderful. I can't speak highly enough of them.

Our article is here:
http://www.britishexpat.com/index.php?id=1188

I couldn't get a good photo because, quite reasonably, they didn't want anyone to get too close and frighten the birds.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Thu 24 Jul 2008 18:06 GMT

My son Nick made a half-hour video about your vultures, Kay. There was a copy on a machine at his brother's house which got stolen, but I think Nick still has the original somewhere. I'd like to get some clips from it and use them.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Photographers and Artists