It is currently Sun 23 Feb 2020 18:35 GMT
Change font size

Photographers and Artists

Still lifes

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

Still lifes

Postby Kay » Mon 20 Oct 2008 11:05 GMT

I'm doing the still life section of my art course now. Do any of you have any favourite still life artists or pictures you'd like to share, please?
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Mon 20 Oct 2008 21:01 GMT

well... there's a van Gogh vase of flowers that I like - dunno where to find a pic of it, though. Or if you don't mean something by a universally-acknowledged artist; take a look at these
http://franceforfreebooters.com/artmusic/PhotoArt1.htm
:lol:

then, of course, there's that Coca-Cola tin (Andy Warhol?)
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Mon 20 Oct 2008 21:15 GMT

:D

I've got to start from scratch with my own grouping of objects and have already looked at thousands of pictures, including many famous ones, for inspiration. I just wondered if anyone had any particular favourites that might give me some ideas.

I've dug out some of my own stuff and had various attempts at making groups but I'm never entirely happy with them. I wonder if I should try something simpler. Mind you, they're not wanting bottles of wine and fruit. :P It's amazing how many still lifes are of the wine and fruit variety - perhaps it's because it works.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Trev » Mon 20 Oct 2008 21:24 GMT

Chess pieces, or, for something way out, a pile of chips and a pool of tomato ketchup on a plate :) (Original anyway, or is it?)

Dust pan, brush, tin of polish and a duster.

Tube of tooth paste and tooth brushes, one old, one new, in a glass.

Pen, pencil, paper and spectacles.
Trev & Vania - Varna - Bulgaria

http://www.tcinbg.net
Posted by:
Trev
Supporter

Postby Kay » Mon 20 Oct 2008 21:37 GMT

Thanks, Trev. It's probably best to avoid food as it'll be rotten by the time I get through my prescribed activities. Some other good ideas there, though so thanks for that.

I've been using stuff I've picked up on my travels - an old Chinese box, a ball of lapis from Afghanistan, etc, etc, with a backdrop of brightly coloured cloths of Cambodian silk. It's too much, and probably too garish. I might be better getting a white sheet and putting some crockery onto it. Or maybe some of my art materials? Pencils, brushes, coloured tubes of paint. I'm in danger of getting "stuck" again, and I'm kinda running out of lives on this one. :)
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Mr Kriss » Mon 20 Oct 2008 22:44 GMT

How about an unmade bed or a pile of bricks. Been done in 3D but 2D?
Chris :compucoffee:
Join the British Expat lending team at Kiva: http://www.kiva.org/team/britishexpatcom
Posted by:
Mr Kriss
Supporter

Postby Kay » Mon 20 Oct 2008 23:23 GMT

Don't be silly, Mr Kriss. I'm trying to do a basic art course not win a major prize! :twisted:

Hmm, there no shortage of building materials around here, though. Maybe it's worth some thought, thanks. (I was supposed to start on this yesterday. :) ) I'm trying to buy myself time by doing the research upfront for the written work which is supposed to be done at the end.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Mon 20 Oct 2008 23:31 GMT

How about an unmade bed or a pile of bricks. Been done in 3D but 2D?

Actually that's quite a good bit of thinking outside the box. :idea: Gotta think about this some more. There's no reason why my still life should have to be small stuff carefully placed on a table or anything... I'm starting to like this idea. It's freeing up my thinking anyway. Thanks again.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Mr Kriss » Tue 21 Oct 2008 08:25 GMT

Yeah, break new boundaries. I hate sunflowers anyway.

Ever known me to think inside the box?

How about a wall with a brick missing and an unmade bed in the space occupied by a certain sculptor with graffiti on the wall saying "Floyd was here, 1979" and entitled 'just another p...k in the wall'. :lol:
Chris :compucoffee:
Join the British Expat lending team at Kiva: http://www.kiva.org/team/britishexpatcom
Posted by:
Mr Kriss
Supporter

Postby Kay » Tue 21 Oct 2008 09:37 GMT

:lol:

I think I'm almost sorted now. I was trying to run before I can walk and, as usual, making things difficult for myself. I should've remembered KISS principle! After all it's only a foundation course and intended to teach me how to draw and paint.

I've been ruthless with the earlier arrangement and dismantled the whole thing. Now I have a few coloured glass objects (and a pair of old Afghan stirrups) on a white sheet. It's a lot simpler but also probably much more suitable for the purpose.

Here's a link to the course (Foundation Diploma in Art & Design):
http://www.studioartschool.co.uk/course ... px?id=1987

(This is their old website. They're in the process of migrating to a new one but I haven't been migrated yet.)
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Tue 21 Oct 2008 19:27 GMT

Do you have to perform several exercises/assignments on the same theme/arrangement? and are you drawing, painting, photographing or all of the above? Sounds fun. I have a friend who is attending live classes, but never thought about there being a remote learning option. Maybe I should investigate. ... except that I already have too many distractions
Last edited by ruggie on Fri 24 Oct 2008 18:41 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Tue 21 Oct 2008 20:13 GMT

I literally took years over the architecture section and became "stuck". They've now shelved that for the time being and moved me onto the still life section, which interests me more. But they want me to do it in two weeks. All students have to work to a time-table now although there's still flexibility for holidays etc.

There are a lot of assignments to do to get through the section. It's a fairly rigorous course and not intended to be leisure based. It's the standard entry qualification to get into Art School in the UK.

Do you have to perform several exercises/assignments on the same theme/arrangement?

Yes. Some of the earlier "activities" are to be done on this arrangement but I can do some of the later ones on a different arrangement, or arrangements.

I communicate with my tutor via a personal online studio - this consists of a message board and places for me to upload photos of my work and documents etc. This has to be done regularly so you can show and discuss your work in progress.

The activities in the still life section section include things like sketching, composition, mixing paint colours, painting in acrylic, using oil based pastels, producing various pieces of analytical written work, and a finished piece of art. I find the written work and the photography easy, but I kinda struggle through some of the drawing work. (Not because I can't draw, it's more a case of being lazy or doing other things.) I enjoy painting, though.

The course, although excellent, is a fairly hefty commitment both in terms of time and money. I would only recommend it for someone seriously committed to the project. I had too much freedom at the start and frittered the time away - now I'm being expected to get on and do the work. Overall, a good thing IMO.

If you want to do art, Ruggie, better for you, I think, to do a leisure based course. With hindsight maybe that's what I should've done, but at the time I signed up I was kinda missing the demands of the MSc course and thought that this would fill the void whilst being useful and fun to do. It is a good course and they're great people to work with so I would recommend it to anyone who has the commitment to do it.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Fri 24 Oct 2008 18:46 GMT

Definitely more than I want to take on. I'd do better to buy a few good books and use them - although having a tutor/mentor does help sometimes.
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Fri 24 Oct 2008 22:10 GMT

I'm sure there are several people here who would be more than happy to give you feedback on any artwork you do. Maybe Strat? He's an artist. I'd be willing to help but I'm just learning too.

There might even be some freebies out there. The BBC, for example, has some free art courses. :)
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby CustomStrat » Sun 26 Oct 2008 00:36 GMT

One of my all time favourite artists is Caravaggio who also painted one of my favourite still lifes:

I'm not afraid to die; I just don't want to be there when it happens - Woody Allen
Posted by:
CustomStrat
Supporter

Next

Return to Photographers and Artists