It is currently Mon 25 May 2020 20:30 GMT
Change font size

Photographers and Artists

Modern prints vs paintings

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

Modern prints vs paintings

Postby Kay » Sat 6 Sep 2003 18:19 GMT

Art is subjective, and we all 'know what we like'. Does anyone else here feel that modern prints of Impressionist paintings are more satisfying than most of the originals? Maybe the paints have lost some of their sparkle - they look flat to me.

Mike K-H posted the above on another thread. It sounds like he's seen some originals. For some reason I've never got around to it.

I agree on the other points, though. I know what I like and a print will do me just fine if the picture is pleasing. Eg, we bought a print of Cafe de Nuit a few months ago in Thailand. Maybe you'll think it's cheesy but it's printed on a textured canvas and we think it looks great. When we took it to the framing shop here, the owner thought it was an original! :shock: She obviously didn't realise what it actually was. Anyway, we have it in our living room as the focal point and we're chuffed with it.

I don't like fake stuff usually, when you buy something fake just because you can't afford the real thing. I'd rather wear a cloth jacket than a "leatherette" one, if I couldn't afford the leather one and that's what I'd wanted. (Mind you, if I had to wear fur, I'd prefer fake.) Anyway, back to our print - we're not trying to kid anyone. It's just that we happen to like it.

That said, I like paintings and have a few I've picked up on my travels. I do value them, mainly because I like the picture but also because they're unique.

Well, I haven't made any useful points there. I guess I'm trying to say there's a place for paintings, prints, and photography. If you know what you like, then enjoy it!

Kay
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby chabrenas » Sat 6 Sep 2003 18:51 GMT

It sounds like he's seen some originals. For some reason I've never got around to it.

I had the unfair advantage of living in Paris for nearly 4 years.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Postby chabrenas » Sat 6 Sep 2003 18:55 GMT

, if I had to wear fur, I'd prefer fake

If I had to wear fur to keep warm, I'd prefer the real thing - but of course it wouldn't be ocelot.
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
chabrenas
Free member

Return to Photographers and Artists