It is currently Sun 23 Feb 2020 18:33 GMT
Change font size

Photographers and Artists

Old "colour" photos from Russia

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

Old "colour" photos from Russia

Postby Kay » Thu 10 Feb 2011 18:06 GMT

Paul, who is a member here, posted on one of his own forums about this.

I think these are amazing so I wanted to share with you:
see the photos here

Thanks to Paul for the heads up on the Aardvark Business Forum
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Fri 11 Feb 2011 01:03 GMT

I thought so too when I saw them. :-D

They're pretty stunning on two counts - first, in their own right as records of their time; and second, as examples of RGB (red/green/blue) colour separation to make a composite colour picture. The same system as colour television and computer displays use, but predating the first colour television experiments by a couple of decades.

(And apparently the concept's even older than that - the first RGB-type photo (and, in fact, the first colour photo ever) was taken by Scottish genius physicist James Clerk Maxwell in 1861.)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Fri 11 Feb 2011 08:24 GMT

Superb. He must have been using some of the best lenses available at the time, too. Since they would have been half- or even full-plate negatives, it will have taken unusually wide aperture lenses to get the shallow depth of field he exploits for the portraits. Interesting to see how costumes in strong colours close to those of his filters look sharper than backgrounds in the same plane (probably because of chromatic aberration softening the more complex colours. Makes them look like Photoshop/Gimp jobs...
Last edited by ruggie on Sat 12 Feb 2011 17:55 GMT, edited 1 time in total.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Graeme » Fri 11 Feb 2011 23:59 GMT

Very Impressive.
Hungry for magazines from Britain? Visit the main web site at http://www.britishexpat.com and satisfy that craving!
Posted by:
Graeme
Site Admin

Return to Photographers and Artists