It is currently Wed 8 Apr 2020 03:02 GMT
Change font size

Photographers and Artists

An idea for you, Kay

Looks like we have a few photographers and artists in our midst so here's a place to talk about all photography, art, and related subjects.

An idea for you, Kay

Postby ruggie » Sat 9 Apr 2011 10:14 GMT

I've just seen a photo of a Pattaya road sign 'drunken people crossing' showing a person with bottle in one hand, crawling on hand & knees. If you know where to find it, how about a pic for BE. Or don't you want to give the wrong impression?
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Kay » Sat 9 Apr 2011 10:38 GMT

That's funny. I've not seen that. Mind you I very, very rarely go to Pattaya. Where did you see the photo? Please give us a link unless it's on a site not suitable for 'mainstream' viewing.

Either it's a joke or it's just another indication of how Thailand is a rather unusual country.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Kay » Sat 9 Apr 2011 10:42 GMT

Never mind the link, thanks. I found the pic easily enough on G.
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Posted by:
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sat 9 Apr 2011 10:45 GMT

Unlikely to be official if it's got writing in English on it - the Thais put place-names in the Roman alphabet but don't translate warnings, orders or information on their road signs.
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
ErgoGuides - Great travel and business eBooks from British Expat!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Sat 9 Apr 2011 13:41 GMT

Can't give you a link, because it's on someone's facebook site (and I can't find it again). Looked as if it was near the waterfront, across the street from a small store/shop called Watson's, if I remember correctly. I assumed the sign belonged to a beach bar off-scene. Looked a bit odd, as if someone has used black tape to put the sign over the top of an existing one.

I'll hunt for it again.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
Posted by:
ruggie
Supporter

Postby Dave » Sat 9 Apr 2011 14:10 GMT

Watson's is a chain of chemists' shops - I don't think I've ever seen any on Beach Road, but there were certainly several in shopping malls around Pattaya when I last went.

Kay seemed to find the image easily enough. I haven't, but I've seen one showing a black-on-yellow triangular sign with red-and-white rectangles underneath the base of the triangle, in front of a branch of the Thai Military Bank. That one was a definite 'shop. (Thailand's warning signs are US-style black-on-yellow diamonds. Besides, you can see the seams where the sign's been pasted in.)
British Newspapers Online - your handy guide to the UK's national, regional and local press!
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sun 10 Apr 2011 12:21 GMT

Ruggie's kindly sent me a screengrab of the pic, which I'm posting here:

I think this has to be either a 'shop or a sign someone's put up as a joke - or probably both.

It looks a bit like Pattaya - but the traffic on Beach Road is one-way from North to South, so the road in the background should have traffic going from right to left, not left to right. Then again, scooters are a law unto themselves. :lol:
Posted by:
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Photographers and Artists