Meeting friends in New Zealand

Nothing's perfect anywhere. This forum is for discussion about the advantages and disadvantages of living in New Zealand.

Meeting friends in New Zealand

Postby NZhereicome » Wed 16 Sep 2009 18:35

Hi, We are due to come to New Zealand, Whangarei in a couple of weeks and obviously want to fit in as quickly and smoothly as possible. Anyone any tips on the best way for my teenagers to make new friends? Are there clubs etc. that they can join? They are both 18 and 17!
NZhereicome
Free member

Postby Toonster » Wed 16 Sep 2009 19:13

Hiya,
I've just done a quick google, and this link seemed to give some info that might help:
http://www.whangareinz.com/livework/liv ... ecreation/

It gives an overview of sports and recreation that are on offer in the Whangarei area - I'm sure that there must be something there that your teenagers would like to do :-)

(In fact this: http://www.whangareinz.com/ is the home page of that site - I'm sure there will be more info of interest in the general area in there)
Living in Windy Welly!
Timescales for PR Application: EOI December 2008; ITA submitted April 2009; PR granted end June 2009.
All posts are my own opinion and not meant to offer any formal visa or emigration advice.
Toonster

Postby NZhereicome » Wed 16 Sep 2009 19:57

Cheers for that. Will take a look, might even see something there for myself.
NZhereicome
Free member

Making Friends

Postby nzkronky1 » Sun 29 Apr 2012 18:38

Hi I realise the that the post I am replying to is from 2009 but I would like to know how your teenagers got on with settling and making new friends? I am going to emigrate to NZ myself and I have teenage sons too and they are my main concern re settling in, if they don't find friends quickly I think it will colour their judgement about the move?
nzkronky1

Postby Toonster » Sat 05 May 2012 06:23

Hiya!

I'm not sure if the original poster is still around (there have been a lot of comings and goings over the last 3 years!). However, I can give an idea from a friend of mine whose 21 year old son came out a few months ago (the friend emigrated 4 years ago, but the son stayed in the UK with his grandmother to finish his schooling). He's obviously no longer in school, and not yet found a job, but has got in with their local football club, and is having a fantastic time - he's made loads of friends.

So - really - the best thing is for them to pick hobbies - if you are staying in an urban area, rather than rural, there will be at least one club for any interest (as long as it isn't *really* specific). On the whole, everyone is really welcoming (to be perfectly honest, I've been more welcomed and 'clicked' into the social circles here than in a couple of the UK clubs I was with before I left), and it's a great way of making friends.
Living in Windy Welly!
Timescales for PR Application: EOI December 2008; ITA submitted April 2009; PR granted end June 2009.
All posts are my own opinion and not meant to offer any formal visa or emigration advice.
Toonster

Return to Ups and Downs