It is currently Sun 29 Nov 2020 21:47 GMT
Change font size

Austria

Seefeld

Seefeld

Postby herc2ules » Wed 7 Jan 2004 16:36 GMT

I have found memories of skiing in Austria a couple of times when I was a kid. A place called Seefeld - anyone know anything about this town? Is the skiing still really good there?? And also, whats it like in the summer? I would love to go back one day for a vacation....
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
herc2ules
Free member

Postby Rich » Thu 15 Jan 2004 18:33 GMT

Any idea which Seefeld (i know of 3 in Austria)? I'm guessing that you mean Seefeld-in-Tirrol as it's a huge skiing area, near the German border between Innsbruck and Garmisch P? If so, yes i know it quite well. Was there briefly only a couple of weeks ago.

The skiing is still excellent, especially for more beginner and intermediate skiiers. I actually prefer it in the summer (although good in winter as well) - the area is great for hiking/cycling etc and we go there for day trips etc quite often.
The light at the end of the tunnel has been extinguished due to management cutbacks.

www.britishexpat.com - News, humour and information for Brits worldwide!

Hmmmm. Needs more rope
Posted by:
Rich
Supporter

Location: Sweden based, but travel alot so your guess is as good as mine, answers on a postcard to the HOF...

Postby Victor » Thu 11 Mar 2004 05:06 GMT

Yes I know that Seefeld as well. I did my first ever langlauf there a few years ago and often go pass on the way to Innsbruck or Italy. Went past last weekend in fact.

Nice place.

Just over the boarder is a small town called Mittenwald. It is the home of violin makers and carpenters. You can spend a happy few hours wandering around there. Nearby, still in Mittenwald area, is a small gorge, I think called the Wimsbachklamm. There is a walkway suspended over the mountain stream/river and the whole thing is only a couple of meters wide at points. It then opens up and there is a nice walk into the mountains.

You can also take the cable car up the unfortunatley named Wank mountain. There is a train on the otherside of the mountain if you prefer. I am so glad I dont live there! :oops: Here is a link to the place http://www.zugspitze.de/wank/index.php I trust that it doesnt get censored! Of course you also have Garmisch not so far away.

On the Austrian side, Innsbruck is worth a visit, it has a nice old town, otherwise its head back into the Alps by Brenner, Stubital or Obergurgl. Going West you have Switzerland a hour or two so away and east about 200Km is Saltzburg.

Rent a car, keep off the mororways and explore!
Reminder: Premium Membership is required for access to private messages. Sign up now!
Posted by:
Victor
Free member

seefeld

Postby B0arder4 » Sun 26 Mar 2006 18:03 GMT

Rich wrote:Any idea which Seefeld (i know of 3 in Austria)? I'm guessing that you mean Seefeld-in-Tirrol as it's a huge skiing area, near the German border between Innsbruck and Garmisch P?

Yeah, I was there this winter... Cool place!
Posted by:
B0arder4

Return to Austria