Where can we speak English?

Try here for info about schools, colleges, universities, etc in France.

Where can we speak English?

Postby Pimali » Wed 04 Apr 2007 04:11

Hello everyone, especially to those who live in France. :D
I'm French, I live in New Zealand , and intend to go back to France next year.
My 3 children are fluent english speakers, with a beautiful kiwi accent, and I know that it's useless to make them learn english at school in France, since the level has nothing to do with theirs.

This is my question: we are coming back to Nantes (Western coast) and I would like to know whether there are playgroups or english speaking groups for children, in which my three children could join? They will be 5, 9 and 11 in September 2008.

Thank you for your answers or hints: it would be sad for them to forget english since they've learnt it so easily!

(and if english speaking parents wish to start a group, we're in!)
Pimali
Free member

Postby Kay » Wed 04 Apr 2007 09:55

(and if english speaking parents wish to start a group, we're in!)

Hi Pimali

This sounds like a really great idea. If anyone can get this off the ground we'll do whatever we can to help in terms of publicity etc. As you say, it would be a shame for the kids to lose their language ability.

Kay
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Kay
Site Admin

Postby Pimali » Wed 04 Apr 2007 22:13

Thanks, Kay!

Still some time to go before I'm back, but it seems that english is an unknown language in my country... I have made research on the web and could not find any bilingual school in my area.

For those interested, there is the Institut franco-américain in Rennes, and the "cité scolaire internationale" in La Baule, and that's it!
Of course, plenty of schools in Paris and in the Western suburbs...

I thought there might be a large community of english-speaking people expatriated in France, (maybe there is?) but they do not seem to have organized any school of any kind. :(

Looks like I'll have to work on a project when I'm back, but I would like to know whether this would be of any interest to British expatriates in the area of Nantes?
Any opinion welcome! :idea:
Pimali
Free member

Postby Kay » Thu 05 Apr 2007 12:26

Go for it, Pimali!

Keep in touch and let us know if we can help. :D
Not Delia - Foodie blog with lots of reviews and recipes.
Kay
Site Admin

Postby ruggie » Tue 10 Apr 2007 18:17

I think you may have identified a really useful poject, if you have the time and energy to spare. British expats, local Chambres de Commerce, etc., quite often run adult Engmish/French language and cultural exchange groups, but I haven't seen much activity on behalf of the children (except around Paris, as you have already mentioned).
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Schools/Education in France