Transfer of Medical / dental records to France?

Try here for advice on health and medical issues.

Transfer of Medical / dental records to France?

Postby polynikes » Sun 20 Mar 2005 20:35

Hello all
Hoping to move to France later 2005. Will be working with friends on B&B /Gites.
Can anyone tell me how I should ensure my medical records will be transfered into the Franch health system?

You know the more I think of this move the more problems - or should I say unaswered questions, I seem to have!

Thanks for help.
Poly.
polynikes

Postby ruggie » Wed 23 Mar 2005 06:28

In France, you own your records (X-rays, etc.) and keep them with you, although the doctors are now in the process of putting them online so that they are accessible from a central database. In the UK, I think you still have limited access, and they won't let you have everything. You'll have to choose yourself a doctor in France first, then ask for your records to be sent to him/her. Thee will probably be a charge for this.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
ruggie
Supporter

MEDICAL RECORDS

Postby RogerManley » Tue 18 Oct 2005 12:16

My wife and I left the UK a year ago. Our Doc (friendly and helpful through very serious illness for my wife and myself) firmly refused to give me my records and said there is no system for transfer. However, he did give me a precis of my records to hand to the French Doc. It has all worked well, thus far.

Take courage, the move seems daunting and the forms are demanding but the French Civil Servants ("Fonctionaires")have been patient and helpfl to me (but you absolutely mustdo things their way). On reflection that which seemed daunting went without a hitch.
RogerManley
Free member

Postby ruggie » Tue 18 Oct 2005 15:49

The UK Data Protection Act allows you access to your medical records, except where medical professionals deem it undesirable (I know what this is meant to cover, but it seems open to abuse). Check this BBC page for details of how to do it:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/actionnetwork/A1181657

In practice, Roger, your doctor's précis is probably more useful than a copy of a wad of stuff including irrelevant junk, all in a foreign language and doctors' handwriting. If, however, you had things like X-rays, cat scans and blood tests intended as a baseline for regular follow-ups, you should insist on copies.
Whether you live in France, or just find the country interesting http://www.franceforfreebooters.com/201 ... nts-up-50/
ruggie
Supporter

Postby 71 » Fri 09 Dec 2005 06:26

just by telling you english doctor you are emigrating they send all details to DWP in Newcastle. getting hold of your files???? I never tried to be honest.

I do know that french doctors are very good and start from fresh anyway.

Mine was asking me questions and sending me for tests I did not even know I needed. But they are good.

New regs now stipulate you must declare your doctor to the french social security, usual doc etc. You once could go to any doc wherever, but now if you do this they wont refund all off the €20 for the visit.

however good to shop around until you find a doctor you are comfortable with, even if she is 30kms and 3 villages away. The locals allways know the best ones.

UK HEALTH RECORDS

Postby GMeilack » Fri 12 May 2006 17:45

We are about to move to SW Brittany and recently asked our GP about medical records. She told us that for a fee of £10 each the practice will provide a print out of our medical records
GMeilack

Re: UK HEALTH RECORDS

Postby ruggie » Sun 14 May 2006 18:40

GMeilack wrote:for a fee of £10 each the practice will provide a print out of our medical records

I've heard of this several times. Seems fair enough to me.
ruggie
Supporter

Return to Health and Medical